1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Channel lineup outside of US

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by lmasterz, Feb 15, 2012.

1. lmasterz

lmasterz New Member

Feb 15, 2012
    Hello everyone. I'm new to dish programming, but I always had interest sometime with the technical stuff and how things work, but never really got deep into it, maybe now it's the time.

I have recently moved to the Middle East for a job for a few years, and since there are some good channel lineups, nothing beats the US channel lineup, (especially if you've lived there) whether it's local TBS, FOX etc or HBO, Showtime etc.

So, is there any way I'm able to view the US channel lineup from where I am now? Whether it's online where I'd hook up m computer to my TV (easiest way I assume), or using my current FTA receiver, or does DirectTV or DishNetwork offer a service where I'm able to view the channels (given that I am a customer with them) online?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH and DirecTV US services are for use in the US only.

DISH has an affillate in Mexico offering separate service, there is a separate DirecTV service for Latin America and DISH does sell some of it's US channels in Puerto Rico ... but nothing beyond that.

The only streaming services DISH offers are within the US. They do not serve overseas markets.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I haven't been outside the US in years... and only then just barely into Canada...

but...

Can't you sling from anywhere in the world as long as the Dish receiver is at home in the US connected to a paid account and you have a portable device (computer, iPad, etc.) with internet access?

I'm not aware of any restriction on using Sling to access your programming outside of the US... but I could be wrong.

4. lmasterz

lmasterz New Member

Feb 15, 2012
    Hmmm, I DID here about the Sling before, but not sure how it works fully. If that works, then that's perfect.

How reliable is it? Does it pick up feed through in the internet or satellite? Now my family in the US are with DISH network, can I use that?

EDIT: Just did a quick read on it, seems that I would've had to setup the sling box back home before able to use where I want to, where in this case my family there isn't much into knowing how to setup such thing.

5. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Depending on what kind of Sling you incorporate, some require more setup than others.

A 922 receiver (currently not something Dish is installing) has it built-in...

For the 722 receiver there is a USB Sling adapter that can be purchased through Dish to enable Sling... and it is basically plug 'n play to a USB port on the receiver... then you login through the Dish Web site OR can use the iPad/iPhone app to view it.

A standalone Slingbox requires cabling and more configuration, which might be difficult for a non-techie even though there's not really much to it.

The easiest option would be if they had a DVR that can use the Sling adapter since it is just a plug 'n play deal.

Then on your end you either have to have a computer with a compatible Web browser OR an iPad/iPhone to run the Dish Remote Access free app... and you login with your Dish Network account login (same one you would use for paying bills).

Of course you will need Internet access... either 3/4G for a mobile device or WIFI for a mobile device or computer. And also your Dish receiver at home would need to be connected to broadband Internet.

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Have you tried any of the network websites? Many of them stream their programs. There's also Amazon and a few others to view programs on-line.

Some of them may be restricted outside the U.S., and depending on the country you're in, western programming may not be legally allowed.

7. lmasterz

lmasterz New Member

Feb 15, 2012
    I did try, and they do stream it, nothing live though, everything is recorded then available a day or so later for streaming. I want to be able to view same time as back home and on my TV all as if I back home.

8. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    I would look into Sling Box. If there are no internet restrictions in your area and your equipment in the US is Sling equipped it should work...they do call it "The World Wide Web".
    Sling uses the internet as a vehicle to transmit programming from the your satellite providers receiver in your home, to your mobile device/laptop etc.; which then can be wired to a TV via DVI to HDMI or similar.
    I transfer programming from my computer to my TV all the time. Modern TV's have built in these capabilities. It is no different then using another monitor on a computer. I think I have read of people in Europe on holiday doing this.
    All this said there may be rules or restrictions I am not aware of.
    Best of luck

9. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    I understand Dish is a service for the US only. It offers limited service in Puerto Rico, as I understand it. However, I am under the impression that the service in Puerto Rico is limited because of the range of the satellites Dish uses, not because of any legal or contractual reasons. Puerto Rico is a US territory. There are also islands in the Pacific, such as Palmyra Atoll, which are US territories. However, I am unsure what service is available on Palmyra. The last I heard it was just a location for boats to dock and there was a video camera there which could be used to provide video documentation of any criminal activity. There are possibly a few residents, usually scientists. And what is the offering of Dish service to boats traveling the high seas but registered in the US? This is a lot of questions, but probably the most appropriate thread in which to post them.

10. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The first, and most important really, limitation is the range of the satellites. No matter how much you might want Dish service, if you can't see the satellites you can't get the service.

Next comes legality... There are places (apparently) in Canada and Mexico where you can receive the signal, but you aren't supposed to legally so we would not discuss that here.

Now with Sling, however, you have the opportunity to have legal Dish satellite service within the US (and possessions that can receive a signal) and then sling that service anywhere in the world that you can have your computer/mobile device linked to the Internet.

I would assume things like boats would fall into that category... and Dish might even (random thinking here) consider possibly hooking up with some of the bigger companies and design a setup where customers could have pre-configured access on the boat to a Dish-provided setup here in the US.

I guess what I'm thinking is.. Dish could setup a bank of receivers somewhere that are connected to satellites here and connect them to the Internet via sling... then they could license out access to those receivers for boats or military use or whatever... and maybe even Dish could consider providing equipment like iPads or something to use in those scenarios.

Seems like a potential place to make some money if Dish wanted to take on the overhead and management issues to bill/provide support for those kinds of special customers.

11. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    The promised Sling Catcher could be a good solution here.

As it is, you are limited to an HTPC or one of the compatible mobile devices.

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Considering how careful DISH is to protect content I doubt they would do such a scheme. Here is a quote from an article written in 2008:
    "Slingbox gives people the ability to essentially become a rebroadcaster of content, and sort of become their own cable company," says Michael Gartenberg, a tech analyst at Jupitermedia. "We are living in a global society and people want to watch the Yankees, even if they're not living in the New York area or the United States."

While they're popular with users, the Slingbox's manufacturer, Sling Media, is not pleased. The company says these practices violate its license agreement, which states that users may not lease, lend, rent or otherwise distribute the software to any third party. The company has banned all Slingbox sharing and hosting posts on its official message boards, warning customers that the use is illegal. "Hosting Slingboxes and sharing finder ID's is prohibited by our End User License Agreement," says Sling Media spokesman Brian Jaquet. "And we don't condone any violation of copyright law." But will it take legal action to stop unauthorized uses? "No comment," Jaquet says.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2008/12/17/broadcast-news.html
    I imagine that under DISH ownership the TOS isn't any more friendly toward sharing content.

13. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    What I was trying to get across to the OP is that regardless of the technology, some Middle East countries impose some rather severe penalties for having access to western media.

That's IF the technology would even work or if parts of it are blocked.

14. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I hadn't thought about that angle... I guess that throws a monkeywrench into it. I guess what I was thinking was maybe they could get some kind of special dispensation to do it from the channel/content providers since it would be a way for Dish to sell those channels to customers who otherwise couldn't buy them... and if Dish was able to sell that kind of service, then the channels/networks would be getting money that they currently don't have a way to get from those outside of the US.

It's similar, in a way, to how I hear a lot of people who would be willing (myself included) to pay for BBC or other UK channels IF we could subscribe to those feeds somehow here in the US. The UK could make some good money if they exported their content outside the US for a subscription fee.

And that's another angle I didn't consider... if we have folk stationed (or even just tourists) in foreign countries/regions where they have a ban on some content then it would be a different kind of legal wrangle to deal with.

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    20 or 30 years ago that might have been a workable idea ... but the modern marketplace is ruled by rights. Those US channels have paid for the rights to broadcast their programming to a US audience. Other channels in other countries pay for the rights in their countries. How would you like it if you paid for the Australian broadcast rights for a program and you found out someone was streaming the content from US servers to your potential customers? You would probably be as happy as the US rights holders that see their profits cut when people stream from foreign servers.

I suppose an argument could be made to allow streaming to "white areas" where no one owns the rights to the content but it would be a mess to keep track of where the content is going ... especially on a "live" channel. A video on demand service would have an easier time - and YouTube does this with some content that is limited to certain countries.

They could ... but they need to do it without interfering with the US rights holders.

16. lmasterz

lmasterz New Member

Feb 15, 2012
    The Sling box is not an option for me as I know my family will not be able to set it up even though it's easy (from what I've heard). Another problem is that both parties can not watch different channels at the same time. So either way, sling box is not possible.

I'm trying USTVNOW which is OK. The free channel line up is not bad, but very basic. However to get the full channel line up they would require my ss# which I find a bit shady. Anyone can confirm if they or know anyone who have used such service?

EDIT: come think of it, does anyone here offer such service? that is he'd have a sling box and I would pay him via paypal of some sort weekly or monthly. If anyone does, or knows anyone who does, PM me please.

17. Transplanted Yankee

Transplanted Yankee Mentor

Oct 17, 2010
    I've been using a Sling Adapter for a few months now connected to a 722K. I purchased it for my Daughter who recently got stationed in Okinawa for the next 3 years. She has no issues pulling up the guide or watching shows etc. There are a few "issues" with the Sling Adapter which I've been informed are being addressed by Dish.
    One thing to keep in mind is that the content sent to a remote user is streamed through the broadband service of the home having the Sling. With that, the streaming is using your Upload service, so whoever you approach to have a Sling connected, they may need to upgrade their broadband service to increase their Upload speed. Other than that, my Daughter has full use of my subscription content.

18. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This part is likely to be an illegal thing... James & I were going back and forth on a "what if" Dish could provide such a service... but there are pitfalls I had not considered that James brought up in the discussion...

But no private person could sell such a service legally... so if you did find such a thing, I would steer clear of it.

As for your situation... did you see the posts about Dish DVRs and the Sling adapter? That allows independent viewing because there are multiple tuners in those receivers... so people at home can watch a different channel than you were streaming remotely.

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Absolutely. If someone, even a friend or relative or even without charge, were to offer one of their receivers to someone else so it could be taken to another house and share the same subscription the discussion would come to an obvious and abrupt end. Providers do not allow their service to be shared in such a manner.

The "hey, I'll host your SlingBox for you" offer violates the same rules. DISH offers sling service so people can, on a personal level, view their content remotely on portable devices. It is not intended to allow people to violate DISH's requirement that separate service addresses have separate accounts with full payment per location honoring all geographical restrictions on the content available.

20. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    How about this http://www.thetelly.net/home.cfm It's a slingbox "hotel". You own the slingbox, the receiver, you pay the UK TV license, everything is yours just as if you were in the UK . They provide space, power, a/c. Legal? I wonder....