1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USA cancels 4400 and The Dead Zone

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Supramom2000, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
  2. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    WOW! NBC/Universal strikes again.

3. Austin316

Austin316 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Dec 9, 2007
    What ever happend to the whole USA characters welcome.

Probably should be now USA - the Law and Order rerun network.

4. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Hee hee!! :p They would have to fight TNT for that "honor", wouldn't they?

But great point about "Characters Welcome". Not so much I guess.

5. sean10780

sean10780 Godfather

Oct 16, 2007
    Oh another dumb move by the networks, everyone is right, USA is turning into the law and order network.

Blah on NBC

6. Eraven34

Eraven34 Cool Member

Dec 23, 2005
    :lol: I think I just realized why I don't watch USA much anymore.

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I never watched Dead Zone but it sucks that they aren't bringing back The 4400.

8. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    I think that may be one reason why these two shows got the ax. In this past season, for each, neither could hold a candle to Burn Notice, The Starter Wife, and (from what I've heard) Monk.

9. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Somewhat of a bummer.

Season 1 of the 4400 was outstanding.

Season 2 was, well, better off not going there.

Season 3 improved a tiny bit over season 2.

Basicly for me, the plot just got stuck in the mud and didn't go anywhere.

Who was the good guys. Who was the bad guys. You never really knew.

I need plot advancement! :mad:

10. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    never really watched the Dead Zone, but followed the 4400 since the beginning. as i agree with the same as RobertE stated:
    season 1: was really good
    season 2: wasn't so good
    season 3: was way better than season 2

11. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I agree with all of that but what bugs me now is that even the not so good seasons were better than the reality TV crap that we are getting now. And since Dead Zone and 4400 were on in the summer, there was really not that much competition. That's where I just don't understand the reasonings behind the cancellations.

12. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    same here, all the reality shows is got to get cut down. but i feel their reasoning behind it is because it is cheaper than to produce a series. maybe they could cut back on the CSI & Law & Order and make a few extra spots for some NEW series. i like Jericho and hope it does make a comeback. even ABC's Traveler is a good show that got the boot.

13. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Looks like we're all in agreement about which seasons of The 4400 were good and not so good, but have the overlords at USA lost their mind? They're going to be losing audience like crazy with the strike, the flooding of the schedule with L&O, and now they cancel two semi-popular shows? Do they have something better to put on instead?

I'm now down to ONE show on USA ... Psych.

I hope the geniuses at NBC/Universal don't make a play to cancel Eureka or SG:A over at Sci Fi now ...

:mad:

14. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    The thing that I never understood about the 4400 was why they made it a "half season summer only" show. I think that's what ultimately doomed it for a couple of reasons. One it's kind of hard to maintain an audience when you're only on a few weeks a year, other than the die hard fans people just forget about it because it's not around most the time. The other thing I found distracting about the show is that they obviously had a hard time keeping actors. Characters would just suddenly disappear after playing a major role the past season or they'd only be around for part of a season and the writers were always having to come up w/ new "excuses" as to why this or that character wasn't currently in the picture and then have to come up w/ something again when all the sudden they were around again. I would imagine if you're an actor you can't really give priority to a show that's only going employ you for a few weeks a year. Ultimately I think they went the wrong direction, they should of made a commitment to this show and made it a full season show rather than cancel it. I mean they already had an established franchise they should of taken advantage of that and built on it. Of course the other question at this point is who would've written it? Oh well, I hope that maybe they'll at least have enough decency to make a mini-series to wrap it up anyway, but I won't hold my breath.

15. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006

You should also check out Burn Notice when it comes back for Season 2.

16. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    As well as The Starter Wife.

17. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    They already cancelled The Dresden Files, which I thought had a great sense of humor about magic. I will certainly keep watching Eureka, but I liked Dresden Files better.

Burn Notice on USA was great fun, but I was flabbergasted when at the end of its run they said to tune in NEXT SUMMER for the next episode. What? I thought it would start again in January. I'm just going to wait around for 10 months?? Stupid, stupid programmers! :bang

Wish I would have started Dead Zone at the beginning. I will rent it at some point.

I am very disappointed that The 4400 has been cancelled as well.

The networks hate that we use DVRs, but, really, who can keep up with the way they change the schedules. I'm just not one to tune in and stay and watch the re-runs and gorp they show instead of what I wanted to watch.

Sorry, I just got in a rhythm--back to topic now.

18. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I only watched The 4400 and Burn Notice on USA. Now it will just be Burn Notice. I was wondering if they would bring back The 4400 in HD too :(

Anyone know if Burn Notice will be in HD? HD Fiona....yum!!

19. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Sigh. And they will replace them with what this summer? Oh, that's right, Law and Order: The Writers are on Strike and Saving Us a Bundle, otherwise known as reruns. Might as well be "TV Land-After the 80's" (except TV Land is Viacom owned not NBC-Universal or Disney).

Oh, and if you did not watch The 4400 and next fall if the writers, directors and actors are on strike, you'll probably be able to watch it as reruns on NBC, or SciFi, or Universal HD, or all of the above.

Most everybody is still ignoring the fact that the Directors Guild and the Screen Actors Guild contracts are up in June.

20. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    It has nothing to do with the programmers. Rather, it is all about money. There is a limited amount of money available for producing and/or acquiring original programming -- not enough to buy 25 episodes per year of six different series. So given that the various series they have all have their fans, they have to keep the number of episodes for most of those shows down to 12 or 13 per year.

Simple math: 52 weeks in a year; 12 or 13 episodes; so that means there has to be 39 or 40 weeks between the end of one season and the beginning of the next.

Not really... they just hate that we don't watch the commercials, because that makes the advertising they broadcast worth a lot less, so they have less money coming in, and so that leads to fewer original episodes a year... a vicious circle. :grin: