1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Drive box

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Mark Holtz, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I was at Costco and Sams Club for the past several weeks, and noticed that they were selling a USB box which contained a hard drive. Does anyone know if you can get a USB box without a hard drive?

2. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Mark, do you mean an external drive box without the actual drive?

If so there are a couple of vendors that supply them for around 50 bucks. I bought five of them from Microwarehouse (recently merged with CDW). The ones I bough were fire-wire rather than USB, but they have USB versions as well. I would recommend using USB 2.0 ports rather than the much slower USB 1.1 standard.

3. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes, the external drive box without the actual drive.

4. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Check out http://www.macsales.com/

Yea its mac stuff, but USB 2.0 and firewire work fine for both. They have the best cases I have ever seen.

5. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't see where it would make a difference between a Mac and a PC. :)

6. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Wouldn't, I can tell you since I use it on both. BUT, they are by far the best quality and looking USB, USB2 and Firewire drive enclosures I have ever seen and used.

7. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I ended up picking up a Bytecc USB enclosure from newegg.com along with a new hard drive, and have put in a 13GB drive that I had around. $30+tax+free shipping.