1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Usb flash drive as external hard drive?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Raymond255, May 8, 2010.

1. May 8, 2010 #1 of 22
    Raymond255

Raymond255 Mentor

Apr 2, 2006
    Has anyone tried using a USB flash drive as an external hard drive for those time when you want to watch just one or two show on DVR in a different room? I figure it has to be easier to sneaker-net a flash drive than an external hard drive.

2. May 8, 2010 #2 of 22
    n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Well, since the minimum size for an EHD is 40 Gig & I haven't seen any 40 gig flashdrives yet, I would think not.

3. May 8, 2010 #3 of 22
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
  4. May 8, 2010 #4 of 22
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    My father recently bought a 32GB USB flash drive... and I've also seen 64GB as well.

I know larger ones are being tested... so if you have the money to blow/test, you could probably find out soon.

IF it happened to work... I suppose I could see using it for that purpose... but consider that it would still take the same time to transfer the recording to the thumb drive as a hard drive... it means you couldn't do spur-of-the-moment viewings in another room in the way you are probably thinking...

i.e. You'd have to decide to move the program to the thumb drive... wait for it... and then take it to the other room. As opposed to archiving with the rest of your recordings on a larger hard drive while you are sleeping.

5. May 8, 2010 #5 of 22
    digital223

digital223 Legend

Dec 18, 2002
    I think it's a great idea. Especially for a friend that doesn't sub to cable or satillite. If they have a computer you could bring your usb drive when visiting to have them watch a movie or a video event you made.

I seem to remember that the USB t/d has to be High Capacity formatted NTFS.
    Or am I mistaken.
    I have some favorite movie clips on an 8Gb SDHC card which I shuffle between my digital camera and my computer. It is formatted FAT, and works well.
    I seem to remember coping a complete movie to the same SDHC card but playback seemd to stutter. I don't think my computer will format this SDHC card to NTFS.

6. May 8, 2010 #6 of 22
    Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The question with USB flash drives is are they fast enough and will the OS format them?

7. May 8, 2010 #7 of 22
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Not NTFS. Yes, you are.

8. May 8, 2010 #8 of 22
    n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    OK, now I have.
    Don't know if it would work or not, going to need to try it.

9. May 9, 2010 #9 of 22
    PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Dish DVR hard drives are in a Linux format, I forget which one right now.

Plus, the recordings on the external drive are encrypted and can only play on a DVR on the same household account. You can't take it to someone else's house and play it on a PC.

But a big enough USB drive, or maybe even a USB-port-equipped SSD, should work as a Dish external drive. If you try it, let us know how it turns out. :D

Keith

10. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    The video on an EHD used with a Dish VIP receiver is encrypted and also can only be played back on a VIP receiver registered to the users account.

Additionally, I believe this has been discussed before and a USB drive will not work to save VIP recordings. We'll see.

11. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Dish uses the EXT3 filesystem.

12. digital223

digital223 Legend

Dec 18, 2002
    Thanks to all that made suggestions re my post.
    I do not have an ehd. Also I am aware of E*'s encrption.
    I have been successful transferring movies and clips to a usb t/d, and at times my laptop hdd, using VLC and Keepvid.
    Many oldimers in my area do not have cable or sat. I bring my laptop and they are able to watch some of the vintage musicals and other movies they remember seeing when they were kids !

13. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    We have definitely ran into situation where EHD without power supplies will not work. My guess is ThumbDrives will also not work for similar reasons.

We have had no reports here that I am aware of where someone has had one work and I don't recall reading any where it did not work. Having said that, I really doubt one would work.

My recommendation would be is get a EHD with a power supply if you want to give the best shot at having it work. There is a thread here where people report what has worked and what has not and I would suggest using that as a guideline.

14. digital223

digital223 Legend

Dec 18, 2002
    This is a correction of my previous post, which could have been misunderstood.

Thanks to all that made suggestions re my post.
    I do not have an ehd. Also I am aware of E*'s encrption.
    I have been successful transferring DVD movies and clips to a usb t/d, and at times my laptop hdd, using VLC and Keepvid.
    Many oldimers in my area do not have cable or sat. I bring my laptop and they are able to watch some of the vintage musicals and other movies they remember seeing when they were kids !

15. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Many business travelers bring their movies along on a USB Flash drive so as to conserve battery power on the plane. Depending on the laptop and the movies involved, one might get to view two complete movies on one laptop battery charge.

I still maintain that you will not be able to use a USB Flash Drive as an EHD on a VIP receiver.

EDIT: Based on the post next following this one, I am mistaken/wrong.

16. kutchins

kutchins AllStar

Mar 20, 2004
    I attached my Sandisk 64G Thumbdrive via the USB cable to my 622. It thought about it for a while, then formatted the disk on which I then was able to download saved programs. They playback just fine; but, as others have said will only work on VIP Receivers, not PCs.

17. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Interesting kutchins, Glad to get a confirmation that it worked. I would have thought it would not. I still would not recommend it, but good to know someone has tried it successfully.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    SO, there is a possible way to use 32 GB or smaller as EHD: format it as normal EHD, make two EXT3 partitions, first should be fixed size ( you could find posts here with the part info), next one initially should make as rest of space, then using hexeditor program to change max sector value to that what would be bigger then 40 GB. Using such EHD with high precaution - better use for one continuous run of transfer to it and cumulative size must be less then REAL size of second partition. Perhaps the method should be used once per transfer. Next time it would require same format procedure.

19. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Godfather

Apr 21, 2008
    Yes, I would say so that you would need to be careful. Seems like you could indeed fool the the DVR into thinking that the drive was bigger than stated, and therefore maybe it will allow its use. But, boy, it sure could get interesting if you run past that physical boundary into non-existent space. Caution, indeed! (Probably not a good idea for the casual user...)

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Perhaps you did read zillion stories about fake big flash drives selling from China. That would be another method, but it will require special software.