1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Use existing DTV receiver for tailgating

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by acoustix, Sep 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. acoustix

acoustix New Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Hi guys,

Long time lurker on the forums, first time poster. I have a question about using one of my three DTV receivers for tailgating. I have the whole house DVR system so I'm not sure if that changes the requirements for me. I'm planning on using my H21-100 receiver. Do I need any special config for a portable HD dish, or will any HD DTV dish work?

If I remember correctly, the tech had changed some equipment (possibly the LNB's ?) on my dish when he did the upgrade to add the whole house DVR system.

Also, please let me know if there are any tips & tricks that I should know about to make things go a little smoother.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

-Nick

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You will need a Slimline dish with an SWM LNB assembly (same as the one at your home) for the tailgate location, as well as a tripod mount to put it on.

Practice setting it up at home until you have it down pat.

3. acoustix

acoustix New Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Ok. That's what I thought - since the LNB assembly is different and I figured that the software on the receiver was probably specific to the SWM LNB too.

I really appreciate the info.

4. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    No, the software on the receiver is not specific to the SWM LNB. The only thing is, if you use a non-SWM LNB you'd have to re-run Satellite Setup every time you move it. That's the only reason it's suggested to use the same type as what you have at home.

5. acoustix

acoustix New Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Thank you!