1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use of existing smart card on new Dish box

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by garyparriott, Jul 1, 2008.

1. garyparriott

garyparriott New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I currently use a Dish 721 DVR. If I were to purchase a Vip722 will my existing smart card work with it? Is there some other steps that need top be taken to make the new DVR functional? I'd like to maintain my current SD plan and go to HD some time in the future.

Any suggestions on the scenario outlined, other then why etc, etc.

Thanks,
    Gary

2. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    No. The Smart Card is built inside the 722. Although there is an exterior slot for a smart card on the 722, it is inactive.
    Once you have your new 722, just call DISH to have it activated.

3. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    As Ken says, you have to activate the new receiver and it will use its "internal card". You might as well spring for the $10 HD programming though since activating a VIP receiver on an "SD Plan" will add $7/month for failure to subscribe to HD Programming. $3 more gets you the HD programming. I was able to activate a VIP receiver electronically (no CSR), but it was a replacement and DISH knew the R00..., S19... that they had sent me.

4. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Even though the 722 has an internal card, it can use an inserted card, but not the one out of your 721.

Dish is planning to replace ALL cards in the future to foil signal theives, you'll get one in the mail from Dish.

The card and the receiver must be"married" or matched by Dish or it will just shut down everything.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    No suggestions. ;)

6. dbrakob

dbrakob Godfather

Apr 25, 2006
    Depending on what package you have it may be better to pay the $7 HD enabling fee. The Family package works best for me so adding the HD would require $13 to upgrade to the AT100 plus $10 for the HD addon.