1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use of HR10-250 Tivo DVR as "almost standalone"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by anton, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anton

anton New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    I bought a new HR10-250 Tivo DVR on ebay with the hope to use it to view and record over-the-air HD broadcasting. It turns out that the DVR serves well as a tuner. I get quite a few HD stations through my standard antenna. The problem is that I cannot use the recording capabilities of my DVR. The manual says I need to sign up with the ($4.99) "DIRECTV DVR with TIVO" service to be able to record. Can I subscribe to this service individually without having to subscribe to any other DIRECTV services ? My idea is to purchase a DIRECTV Satellite dish for the DVR program information download only. Will this work or do I have to subscribe to DIRECTV Satellite TV and maybe the HD programming itself ? I'd rather avoid the latter as I already spend too much time watching TV and would even more with the 100+ channels they offer.

Alternatively, can I cancel the DIRECTV services that I do not need after initially signing up for all the packages ?

2. JJaret

JJaret Legend

Aug 25, 2004
    The HR10-250 will not record without the Tivo service from Directv. In addition, you can not subscribe to the service w/o a minimum level of programming. And lastly the duel tuner function will not work w/o 2 directv lines attached to the DVR. If you are looking for a substitute, LG makes a standalone HD-DVR. It does not have Tivo service but rather its own software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.