1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use of old DirecTV receivers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by drogers100, Oct 5, 2012.

1. drogers100

drogers100 New Member

Jan 15, 2008
    My sons apartment complex at college has switched from cable to directTV service. They really don't want to enter into a 24 month contract but would like to signup for directTV. I have spoken to a few CSR at direcTV but am not confident all the answers are correct. My question is what will they be lacking if they use any of the following receivers.

HR10-250
    H10
    SD DVR80
    SD DVR40

According to the rep by using my old equipment they do not have to enter into a contract with DTV.

Thanks

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    No HD for sure, I am not sure if the DVR40 and DVR80 can still be re-activated

3. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    If the entire apt went to dtv then it would be setup as an MDU and those receivers will not work. Some MDUs dont require contract but you will have to check with MDU rep.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Agree with west on this. New MDU (multidwelling units) use SWM technology(or even IP) and none of those receivers will work with SWM. As he posted, some MDUs (college apartments are a good example) don't require a 2-year commitment, the customers get the receivers through the MDU management. You need to talk to whoever at the apartments manages the MDU. A DirecTV CSR will NOT be able to give you good info on this.

5. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Texasbrit and west are correct....MDU's are a different sort of animal

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I believe the H10 and HR10-250 will work standalone via OTA antenna.
    Otherwise they are boat anchors.