1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use of Receiver as DVR without Direct TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lmajunior, Jul 16, 2009.

1. lmajunior

lmajunior New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Is it possible to use a Direct TV HD DVR (HR10-250) as a DVR only without having it hooked up to a satellite?

I have some old equipment that I thought I might be able to put to use, primarily to be able to pause and fast-forward live shows. I have Comcast HD cable.

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    D* DVR's will not work with Comcast cable, it might work as an OTA DVR only, but last I checked this only applies to the HR10, it does not apply to any of the newer HD DVRs from D*.

3. lmajunior

lmajunior New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Thanks! You saved me lots of experimentation and reading of manuals.

4. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Yup, no go. It will not work on cable at all.

You can pickup OTA with it, but there is no guide or season passes/etc. without it being subscribed on directv. Works like a VCR really from what I have heard.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Cable uses QAM to send digital channels, while any DirecTV DVR with an OTA tuner will only work with ATSC, which is the OTA digital format. So, no, there's no way to make any DirecTV DVR work with cable.

6. ssandhoops

ssandhoops AllStar

Dec 2, 2007
    Doesn't even function like a VCR because you can't schedule any kind of recording without DVR service. You get the 30 minute buffers so you can pause live TV but that's about it.

7. coacho

coacho Legend

Aug 21, 2007
    Can you do manual recording even without the guide? Say I just wanted to use my old SD Tivo to record the 11:00 news every night?

8. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    I think the HR10 will do that, but not the HR20 series.

9. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    No, NONE of them will record w/out being activated w/D* service.
    The ONLY thing the HD Tivo will do, is pause live OTA TV for 30 min & that's it! (and play back previously recorded shows, of course)