1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Use One Coax Cable for Broadband DECA and Receiver?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by theuberprof, Sep 11, 2011.

1. theuberprof

theuberprof Cool Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Is this possible?

In short, I used to need two cables for the dual tuners of my HR22. Now that I have a SWM setup, I have a spare. The spare is now used for a broadband DECA. Is there a way to use that one cable with both a H21 and the broadband DECA?

I'm trying to avoid running another coax cable, haha. Thanks for your help.

2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Though not recommended by DIRECTV, actually there is a way that works for what you want just fine. Unfortunately the nice image illustrating it that was originally posted no longer loads, but if you carefully follow the instructions of the poster you should have no problems:

From dwcolvin originally posted on 5-17-10

Full post is here:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2459468#post2459468

3. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I don't think that is what he is asking.

OP, Are you wanting to have both the HR22 and the H21 at the same location using the two cable that were originally there for the HR22. And you want to know if the H21 and Broadband DECA can share the cable?

If so, the answer is yes, but instead, leave the Broadband DECA where it is and use a green-label splitter and split the line going to the HR22 for use by both the HR22 and H21.

4. theuberprof

theuberprof Cool Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Herdfan, what you say sounds like what I'm trying to do. I currently have a TV on one side of a wall, and I'd like to add one on the other side of the wall.

If it matters, what used to be a HR22 is now an HR24. So I can use a green label splitter and attach both a HR24 and H21 to the same cable from the SWM?

5. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yes, as long as you don't exceed the maximum tuner count supported by your SWM model.

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Oh sure Herdfan's way will work as well;

And is in fact the officially approved way to do it.

But ... :) , if you truly wish to keep it as a "single" line to the H21 and BB DECA without the need for splitting it into two smaller ones or the need of a PI to power the BB DECA, then simply run the single line to the satellite side of the BB DECA and the other end of the DECA to the satellite input of the H21 receiver.

Then connect the ethernet cable from the BB DECA to a port on the router or local switch with another ethernet patch from another available port on the router or switch back into H21's ethernet port.

Of course this does mean the both MRV data to the H21 as well as any necessary internet traffic in and out of the DECA cloud flow through BB DECA and ethernet switch on the router or local switch.

7. theuberprof

theuberprof Cool Member

Jun 11, 2008
  8. theuberprof

theuberprof Cool Member

Jun 11, 2008
    This is what I'm calling a "broadband DECA."
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...V-DECA-Broadband-with-power-supply-(DECABB1R0)

Only seems to have one coax port...

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
  10. theuberprof

theuberprof Cool Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Yeah, I figured that was the source of confusion.

Cool. Thanks again.