1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using 942 without Dish

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by rlc2502, May 30, 2005.

1. rlc2502

rlc2502 New Member

May 30, 2005
    I am hoping for some info on how to effectively use the 942 DVR without a Dish sat hook up. I have recently moved to a location that does not have LOS to the Dish Sat. The only one that I have LOS to is the old Voom Sat 61.5. I am in possession of a 942, and I have a antenna to receive OTA HDTV in Dallas, as well as a Non HDTV DirecTV(SBC Communications) cable hook up. How can I use the 942? and is there a support resource (non dish) that I can use for this product. Help!!!

2. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    It wont work.

This is also in a way a major design flaw as when there are Tornados in my area the 942 will go out completely due to RAIN FADE.

This means I cant watch the local TV stations over the air to see when to take cover.

They need to change the software code so the OTA turner will work for a HOUR with out the SAT signal for Emergencys like bad weather or national emergencys like that of 9-11.

Direct TVs HD Tivo already has this in there software. Dish needs to follow.

As for your case NO it wont work by design as Dish did this on purpose so you have to sub to there SAT service so they make money, they claim the 942 price is still subsidized (spelling) at they $700 price point.

3. normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    Unless you are completely surrounded by hills or tree's, LOS can be achieved by placing dish's on various masts, tops of tree's, all depends on how hard you try. If its impossible, then your stuck with whatever other options maybe available..

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    That statement was too narrow - just one satellite ? Dishnetwork have many of them - 61.5, 110, 119, 148.
    I can't believe you don't have LOS to all of them.

5. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    We had bad thunderstorms last night and we lost the sat signal on my 942. It had the screen up with the 1-5 countdown /acquiring sat signal. I hit the menu on the remote and hit program guide. I had the locals setup with the sat locals and my ota locals in one favorite guide. When the guide came up all I had was the ota digital locals with no information. All the sat stations were not listed since the sat receiver couldn't get any signal from the satellite. I hit one of the ota channels and I was able to access it just fine. In fact all three stations came in fine. The sat channels were not accessible but the ota stations were.

So next time, I suggest you hit the menu and then program guide and you should be able to access your local ota channels.;)

6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    ScottChez is likely wrong. The 811 & 921 act as Mike says. Just don't turn the box off while it doesn't have a satellite signal. ;)

You only need to see ONE of the E* birds to satisfy the box, and you do NOT need a subscription - just an active signal.