1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Using a dock for External Drives?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by ggulch, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Mar 5, 2014 #1 of 12
    ggulch

ggulch Cool Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Wondering if anyone is using a dock like this one (http://tinyurl.com/a2u7auz) and bare hard drives with any of the DVRs? As 3.5 inch HDs have become bigger and cheaper it seems that pretty much the only 1-T drives available are bus powered 2.5s. I'd prefer 1-T drives because anything bigger seems to take forever to connect.

If it'll work I'm also thinking that using a dock would also allow easily swapping drives. I've used the Monoprice USB switch with multiple HDs, but it's never worked reliably for me even though I was very careful to switch off one drive before bringing another on-line.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,
    Ron

2. Mar 5, 2014 #2 of 12
    Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #3 of 12
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    no self powered drives for EHD

4. Mar 5, 2014 #4 of 12
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'd recommend you stay away from 2.5" drives. They often have nasty power saving habits and are typically much more expensive than their 3.5" breatheren. They feature slower rotational speeds and more often than not, a smaller cache.

Other than taking longer to process during the nightly check when they get loaded up, I've not noticed an appreciable slowdown with 2TB drives versus smaller devices.

You're not shopping very hard if you can't find a 1TB 3.5" USB systems with 1+ year warranties. Amazon sells the 1TB Seagate Expansion Desktop drives for $63 delivered with a one year limited warranty. You can buy them from Seagate for $79.95.

5. Mar 5, 2014 #5 of 12
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You've seen a USB powered hard drive dock?

6. Mar 5, 2014 #6 of 12
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    sort of ... not a dock , but an enclosure, small, for 2.5" drive, no power brick

7. Mar 5, 2014 #7 of 12
    ggulch

ggulch Cool Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Let me clarify. I'm not wanting to use bus powered HDs. Rather I'm wondering if a dock that lets you use bare drives would work. Here's the URL (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/NewerTech/Voyager/Hard_Drive_Dock) for such a device without trying to run it through TinyURL. Also I don't think I was clear when I mentioned 1-T externals. It seems that 3.5 external 1-Ts, in an enclosure are getting harder to find since everyone wants more disk space, not less.

8. Mar 5, 2014 #8 of 12
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I see, it's looks as TT BlacX clone ... sure you can use it

9. Mar 5, 2014 #9 of 12
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Note that the conventional designation for a one terabyte hard drive is 1TB as opposed to 1-T (which looks like a backwards telephone service designation). This may be why you haven't found what you've been looking for

Please read my above reply carefully; it was composed to address some of your concerns as well as raising some that you may not have considered.. If your solution costs even $30 more, you're stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

10. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    Yes, I use two of those type docks. Work great. Added benefit is you can turn the dock off, pull the drive out and put a different one in without causing your Dish receiver to reboot. (oops, just tried that while looking at the drives contents and powering off the dock caused a reboot.) Tried again without looking at the contents and got the normal message that the drive was removed from the system without a reboot.
    Anyway, I like the dock setup as the extra dish drives do not take up a lot of space when not plugged into the system.

I have two of the Thermaltake docks, bought from NewEgg for less dollars than the ones from Tech/voyager.

11. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I have 4 SATA drive docks, used to have them on my 221's and my 722k, but now I have one connected to my Hopper W/S, still work fineeven my 4-5 year old drives I used when I had a 622 work with my Hopper.

I have a stack of 250GB drives full of mostly movies, that all still work in the drive docks.

Of course the drives off the 211's do not work with the Hopper or any other 622/610/722/922 DVR.

12. gherna1

gherna1 New Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Youngstown, NY
    I use an ULTRA USB3 dock, which accepts both SATA and IDE drives with my 211K receiver. I have a 2TB WD20EARS HDD plugged into it as my EHD.
    It's an advantage being able to replace HDDs when they get full. In my experience, all that is needed is a receiver reboot for a swapped HDD to be recognized and accepted.