1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using DECA for Non-D* purposes?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by EricRobins, Nov 15, 2010.

1. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    I currently have 3 HR2Xs all hardwired via ethernet (two in the same cabinet, the other next to the router), and am having a new HD IRD (H2X ?) installed in a few weeks.

Because the H2X will be in a room that is remote from the router w/ 1 COAX and no CAT5, I am having DECA installed in order to be able to utilize MRV.

Can I put a 2nd router/switch/other hardware between the DECA unit and the H2X so I can use the D* hardware to distribute my network?

Can I use the second ethernet port on my HR21 in the same way?

2. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Well, the H20 has no ethernet connection at all so if you are wanting to use MRV you will need a h21,H23, H24. The H24 would have built in deca so that would cause problems too.

DECA can be used for other traffic if you place a switch there but I wouldn't expect DirecTV to support it in that configuration.

3. poppagene

poppagene AllStar

Jul 20, 2007
    It's not recommended to use the 2nd ethernet port on an HR21 to extend your deca network. Some have done so successfully, but eventually something on the network screws up. If you need an extra ethernet connection at a point where an HR21 in connected to a deca adapter, you're better off plugging the deca ethernet cord into a switch and running an ethernet cable from the switch to the HR21.

4. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    So I can run the CAT5 from the DECA module into a switch w/o issue?

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yes. Not sure I would, but it'll work.

6. 66stang351

66stang351 New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Yes, but if you get H24's you won't have that option as the DECA capability is built in and if you plug into an Hx24's ethernet port it disables the DECA internally.

7. HaRrrgh20!

HaRrrgh20! Legend

Jan 22, 2007
    I have this setup in one room: DECA->switch->HR20 & XBox. Works fine.