1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Using external HD and switching HDDVRs??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lparsons21, May 11, 2013.

1. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    There's been some discussion in alt.dbs.directv usenet discussions about using an external HD and it working with other D* HDDVRs. I had always thought that was not possible as the video was locked into the HDDVR it was created on. But here's a quote of the last posting in the discussion that seems to say that isn't the case:

//quote

>>>> Use and external drive and you don' lose anything.
    >>>
    >>> Actually, that depends on what goes wrong. If (for example) the
    >>> external drive fails, you lose everything on it. Also if something
    >>> else internal to the DVR fails, you also lose everything on the
    >>> external drive if the DVR must be replaced (the new DVR will simply
    >>> reformat the external drive as soon as you connect it, wiping out
    >>> everything recorded on it).
    >>>
    >>Well I beg to differ with you. I can take any of my four external drives
    >>and switch them between any HDDVR. All four are different models also.
    >
    >My experience with HR20 and HR21 DVRs was different the last time I
    >tried... but that was a few years ago. I have a 'clone" of each of my
    >DVR's hard drives, so tomorrow I'll run a few tests to see if you are
    >correct.

OK, I tried a clone of one of my DVRs connected to a different DVR,
    and to my surprise, it worked exactly as you said, so I retract my
    earlier statement.

//endquote

2. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    If this is true, it would be a blessing if the DVR itself went bad.
    My DVRs are in cabinets so a bit difficult to justify pulling them just to test.
    I will be watching for results on this forum.

3. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I'll be watching too! That's why I posted this here, hoping some would do some testing and report back.

While I'm currently with Dish, things change... :)

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You will be able to see the list of recordings, but you will not be able to actually play any of them. I can assure you 100% that recordings made on one HR2x series DVR will NOT play when that drive is connected to a different HR2x series DVR. That is also true of the SD series R1x DVRs.

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Yeah, I've been trying this off and on after updates and what carl6 says is what happens. You can see the recordings but not play them. Your Series Links work though.

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Thanks for the responses. That is exactly what I thought would be the case, though I did think possibly there was some hidden change in one of the updates.

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The only exception to these rules is OTA recordings....if you theoretically had a drive full of OTA recordings (AM-21 or HR20 with antenna feed in use), those recordings are 100% portable between dvrs.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Veeeeerrrry Interrrrresssssting! </Artie Johnson>

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Absolutely right. I forgot about OTA recordings.

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The SLs don't always make it, I stuck a 2TB on a 24-100 the other day, deleted all the content on it and, somehow lost all the SLs. The HDD didn't reformat or I wouldn't have had to delete all the recorded content. Odd.

Trying to view content that wasn't recorded on the correct HR is not a good thing to do. I've inadvertently done it and it wasn't a pleasant experience. At the least, I had to reboot the HR. First time I ever lost the SLs, tho.

Rich

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Very interesting. I wonder what triggered the deletion of the SL's.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    No idea. First time something like that has happened to me. All I did to the HDD was mark all recorded content for deletion as I do with each HDD that I put on a new HR and it took the SLs away. Waited a day for the SLs to populate, but they never did.

Rich

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I have done about 6 drive copies now for replacing the drives in the same DVR over the last 6 years, mostly moving to larger drives, and I've yet to lost the SL's, but I guess it could happen

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It certainly can. I had over 40 SLs on that HDD and they're all gone. The only thing I know for sure is that I didn't do anything that would cause that to happen. But, not a big deal, I'll just fill it up again with SLs when the new season starts.

I would have thought that I would have lost all the recordings on that HDD (2TB EVDS) too, but I had to delete them. First time for everything, I guess.

Rich

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And the two boxes were on the same software version?