1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using HR24 with a DECA Adapter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by mtavares, Jul 10, 2010.

1. mtavares

mtavares New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Ok, first off I know that the HR24 does not require the use of the white DECA adapter. But I was wondering if there was a way to make it work with it. The reason being is that I have other components in my family room that I would like to connect to my home network. Unfortunately due to it being above my garage, whose ceiling is enclosed, it would be extremely difficult for me to run a cat5 cable from my family room back to my router. So what I would like to do is use the DECA adapter such that it connects to the HR24 via coax. Then the ethernet port of the DECA adapter gets connected to a switch I have in the family room. Then from the switch I connect it to the ethernet port in the HR24 and to my other networkable components. The problem seems to be that when I connect the DECA adapter to the HR24, it won't power the adapter, and not sure why. Is there any way to make my scenario work, or am I just spinning my wheels?

2. 66stang351

66stang351 New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Easy answer is to put in a splitter and use a power inserter to power the DECA. Once you do that you could run your switch off of the DECA and the HR24 would continue to operate as it does now.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm sorry, that won't work. Apparently veryoldschool did some research on using HR24s and DECAs but even if it does work there are issues long-term.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    As 66stang351 posted, simply split the coax and use the DECA with a PI for this.
    The 24s won't power a DECA.

5. mtavares

mtavares New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Even 66Stang's solution won't work? And what are some of the potential long term issues? Thanks.

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Not sure how/why this "won't work". :confused:
    You wanted to add a DECA to the 24 and then use the ethernet output to a switch.
    At the 24, you add a splitter and two short coax jumpers, one to the 24 & the other to the DECA. This DECA needs power so you have to use a PI. Now you have the ethernet you wanted for the switch.

7. mtavares

mtavares New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    That makes complete sense. Thanks. I will give that a shot.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The 24s simply don't power the DECAs, so this really is the only way to do it.