1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using RG 6u with DECA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by stumpie, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Jun 6, 2010 #1 of 13
    stumpie

stumpie New Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Can you setup deca with all of the cables are rg 6u> Thank you.

2. Jun 6, 2010 #2 of 13
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Yes, a SWM installation is probably less demanding but RG6 with a solid copper center conductor is still recommended.

3. Jun 6, 2010 #3 of 13
    Hdhead

Hdhead Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    I have RG59 on some of the runs to the receivers and it works fine. Should not be an issue.

4. Jun 6, 2010 #4 of 13
    stumpie

stumpie New Member

Sep 7, 2006
    I had the installers out and they said that they had to run all new lines because they where rg 6u. It would be very hard to run new lines.

5. Jun 6, 2010 #5 of 13
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This cable should not be used between the PI and the SWiM, or if the SWiM is separate from the dish, between the SWiM & dish, because the copper clad steel doesn't carry the DC power as well as the solid copper does.

6. Jun 6, 2010 #6 of 13
    bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    RG-6/U was originally a military nomenclature (radio guide, size #6, utility). I can't find a copy of the original mil-spec, but it probably referred to a cable with an impedance of 75 ohms having a copper center conductor (possibly stranded), polyethylene dielectric and copper shield. Today the R-6/U designation is quite generic, meaning that it has a 18 AWG center conductor which can be either solid copper or copper-clad steel and a polyethylene foam dielectric. That is the correct physical size but, as VOS stated, the copper-clad steel version is not suitable for carrying the current required by the Directv SWM and LNB (the resistance of the cable will cause a voltage drop). If the length isn't very long it may work, but I suspect that Directv installers are instructed to only use the solid copper version.

7. Jun 6, 2010 #7 of 13
    badgerdave

badgerdave Legend

Dec 15, 2006
    Sorry, I'm not clear--what kind of cable should run from the PI to the DECA?

8. Jun 6, 2010 #8 of 13
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    PI to DECA?
    You mean for the DECA to router bridge? This PI should connect directly to the DECA.

9. Jun 6, 2010 #9 of 13
    badgerdave

badgerdave Legend

Dec 15, 2006
    Correct--sorry.

10. stumpie

stumpie New Member

Sep 7, 2006
    So can I use the rg 6u? Or can I just replace some of it?

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    post #5 says where not to use it, and if you follow that, then the other places it will work fine.

12. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    You never said which type it was, solid copper center conductor (which you can use anywhere) or copper coated steel (which should be avoided in certain parts of the installation).

13. sungam

sungam Legend

May 10, 2007
    The /U designation ('U' for utility) doesn't necessarily mean the cable has a copper coated steel center conductor. For example I found Belden RG-6/U with copper coated steel, bare copper and compacted stranded copper center conductors. To know what you have you have to either examine the center conductor or compare the manufacturers model/part number on the cable to their specs.

1 person likes this.