1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

using Sling Adapter, can't see programs on external hard drive connected to Hopper

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by tenwinecans, Nov 1, 2012.

1. tenwinecans

tenwinecans Cool Member

Aug 20, 2012
    I have a Sling Adapter connected to my Hopper.

When I use Dish's Android/iOS App or DishOnline,
    am I supposed to be able to see the programs on
    the external hard drive connected to the Hopper?

Right now, only the programs recorded on the
    Hopper's internal hard drive are visible.

Thanks! :)

2. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I notice this is the case if the HD has powered down for energy savings. At least my HD does this after several hours of un-use. If it's up and running I can see all the shows on the IOS app.

3. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    You will not see the content on your EHD when you sling. You have to transfer your recordings to the internal HD to view those recordings. Thanks.

4. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Sorry Ray, not so. If my HD is spun up and active, I can see and access shows on my Sling adapter.

At least I use to be able to. Currently I cannot see anything but the DVR. However, my HD has not been used in several days so it is probably in OFF mode. I'll report back later.

5. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    This feature ceased with the 922 and Hopper. You cannot see the DVR content while slinging from the 922 or Hopper. It does work with the 722/722k. Thanks.

6. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    Remote viewing from an EHD was never supported and still is not. It worked or works on the 722 because of a bug.

7. guruka

guruka Troublemaker/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 27, 2003
    This is a BIG feature loss moving from the 722 to the Hopper! Please implement this feature in a Hopper software update. I should be able to see and view ALL my recordings remotely using DISH Anywhere. Why not? I viewed them for years remotely from my old 722 via my Sling adapter.

8. fredp

fredp Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    The Hopper(and I have a HWS) has been a series of frustration for lots of owners with the last couple of firmware updates. More stuff broke then fixed for many(ie; EHD). DISH almost seems to be taking it one step forward and two steps back for this product.

9. hazmat456

hazmat456 New Member

Feb 15, 2014
    I am having the same problem, uesd to be fine when I had vip and there is NO reason it cannot be done, just like there is NO good reason why I should need to have a internal sling to transfer recorded content to a device. If is has a slower processer than it will just take longer!