1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Using someone elses reciever at my house?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by charmz, Sep 5, 2011.

1. charmz

charmz New Member

Sep 5, 2011
    My friend got the free HDDVR upgrade at install...but cancelled his DVR service after the first month

I have DVR service active on my account so I gave him one of my HD recievers and took his HDDVR

Both work fine at the two houses, however...I cannot record anything on his HDDVR @ my house

Is there anway around this?

H24 is the reciever type

2. blaqhauq

blaqhauq Mentor

Dec 13, 2010
    I don't think you can get around it. That receiver is on a account that does not have dvr so it doesn't matter who uses it. Or where you use it. It's still on his account. Just like if he orders ppv on the box you gave him, you will get billed for it and vice versa.

3. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    As suggested=The Each receiver is Activated indepented of the main account setting- You need to return the HDDVR to your friend or you both need to call D* (be on the phone together) and swap then proper on your account.

Or-Swqp them back and forget about it.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    His Terms of Service says that he has to maintain DVR service for 2 years after he got his install. DirecTV is going to want that box back and they may charge him $$$ for cancelling his service early.

Do you own that HD receiver? if it was a leased unit, I think you also violated the Terms of Service.

You should swap the units back.

5. charmz

charmz New Member

Sep 5, 2011
    oh damn...of well thought i could get a second DVR

you are talking about swapping...is there a way to swap receivers legit?...(both calling and saying we want to do so)

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    He isn't going to want to swap (and I don't believe there is a way to do this). When he signed up for HD DVR one month ago, he agreed to this from DirecTV(I edited out some parts):

You need to get him back his box so he can return it.

Source Link

7. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    You can purchase a "owned HDDVR" on ebay(just check the RID number with D* before purchase) or a leased HDDVR form any online retailer like amazon or solidsignal.

Get your box back and return his to him ASAP

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    That's what I didn't understand. Unless the OP's friend owns the box, if he cancels service on a leased receiver after only one month, DIRECTV will assess an ETF and demand return of the box within about 20 days after the receipt of a return kit or they will charge him for the cost of the receiver as well.

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    No EFT if he just cancels DVR service, but they do want the box back.
    ------------------------------------
    And yes, I'm assuming that his box is leased and not owned because of the OP's original statement "My friend got the free HDDVR upgrade at install"