1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using the Media Sharing option

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by KennyH123, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KennyH123

KennyH123 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Sorry about this quation if its stupid... Im a noob.. just ordered my HR20 and am trading my Tivo unit in...

My question concerns the Media Sharing capability of the HR20... it says it requires a computer that has Intel Viiv technology... I can't find that on anything but desktop PC's.....

Does anyone know if laptops are made with Intel Viiv technology?

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk

You do not need a PC that has Intel Viiv Technology. The majority of us that are using the media share option are not using Viiv PC's.

All 3 of my PC's that I am using are not Viiv and I just use WMP11 and all 3 work great with my HR20's.

3. KennyH123

KennyH123 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Thanks for the info....

4. flexoffset

flexoffset Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    I'm running it from inside Parallels on my MacPro as are several others, I think.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That information is out of date. In fact, Intel is "de-emphasizing" the Viiv brand anyway. Check out the information resources subforum for more information.

Glad to have you here!

6. KennyH123

KennyH123 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    OK. So then would I still need to download the Media Share software that the Direct TV site tells me I'll need? Or is that not necessary?

7. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Windows Media Player 11 works
    TVersity works
    There have been some others, but those are the 2 I recall.

Not sure what the site is saying to download, but I'm using an old XP-pro system with WMP11 - no VIIV anywhere near my system.

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    You can run it natively on a Mac, using EyeConnect or Twonky (I have both installed). Check the threads for tips (beta version of EyeConnect, replacement binary for lame with Twonky).

9. KennyH123

KennyH123 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Sounds good....

One last question... I'll be trying this wirelessly.... what exactly do I need to plug into the HR20 and does Direct TV supply it with the upgrade?

10. hobie346

hobie346 Icon

Feb 23, 2007
    Sorry to highjack the thread but what else do I need to do after I install WMP 11? I have my HR20 connected the n/w with CAT5 to a netgear switch and it passes the tests. I'm running XP with SP2. Do I have to have any of the files that I want to display/play on the HR20 in a shared folder of a specific name or just any shared folder?

TIA.

11. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Open WMP11. Right click the top bar and select "tools" then "options". Then click "Library". Then "Configure Sharing". Check the "Share My Media To" box. Then you should have a unknown device pop up and that will be the HR20. Click it and allow it. Then you should have a new option in the HR20 menu. It will say Music & Photo's.

12. kitchj

kitchj Godfather

Aug 3, 2007
    DirecTV has supplies a network port. If you want to go wirelessly, they do not give you anything for that. You must use a wireless bridge or wireless gaming adapter. I have a Linksys WET54G as my bridge.

13. kitchj

kitchj Godfather

Aug 3, 2007
  14. Charlutz

Charlutz Mentor

Jul 30, 2007
    Welcome to the forum, Ken!

15. EaglePC

EaglePC Icon

Apr 14, 2007
    I ran a 50 foot network cable from my router all for this geesh!
    I be better off doing some dvd burning

16. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    I have not hooked up the HR20 to the Network yet but have a question. I have set up media sharing on WMP11 but when I go to the share media to area there is nothing in the box. Should my other computer be there or will it be blank until I hook up the HR20. I am running xp sp2 on a turion64 laptop and a P4 desktop
    Thx

17. emrmc

emrmc Mentor

Jul 4, 2007
    Once the hr20 is hooked up, you will get an unknown device wanting to connect to your wmp11. btw, you can't share music from a networked drive unless you hack the registry. search on here there is a fix for that someone posted, has to do with a xbox 360 hack that works on mediashare.

18. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    Ok Thx for the info. Now I just have to figure out how I want to run the line from my back room to the Living room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.