1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Using Youtube

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by GregLee, Feb 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    The Youtube application on Menu > Extras works well, and I often use it, but there are other ways I'd like to use it and don't know how. If there is a document or a discussion around here, somewhere, please direct me to it.
    1. Can I somehow identify myself as a user who has a youtube account? (The response to clicking the "flag" item suggests that there is a way.)
    2. Can I personalize the video format in any way for the best resolution to use for my TV, or whether to use widescreen? (I never see widescreen unless I set D* picture format to Stretch or Original Format.)
    3. Can I personalize the audio format in any way to get something better than stereo? (According to my AVR, stereo is all I am ever given -- no DD 5.1, even for audio demos that I'd expect to have DD 5.1.)
    Thanks for any help.

2. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    Unless they have mad a major update in the last few months, no to all 3. I highly recommend a $35 Chromecast, you'll get youtube access in HD and a lot of other great streaming apps.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right on! Chromecast or another streaming box is the way to go, DirecTV YouTube app is very rudimentary

4. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It is just a viewer.

5. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    so they could not make it better?

6. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    When have you seen addons improved by DirecTV?

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No, that was not my point. my point was because is just a viewer it does not necessarily means it has to be so crappy

8. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Basically the same Q - When have you seen DirecTV do non-crappy addons?

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well, you have a point

10. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The problem, that I have seen with DirecTV add-ons, there's a lot of back clapping when it is release, but then nothing. It never gets improved. It is just left to die a very quiet death.