1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USPS rant/Public Service Announcement

Discussion in 'The OT' started by leww37334, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leww37334

leww37334 Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2005
    I went to the post office today to mail one of those musical greeting cards. I assumed it would require more than normal postage, so I put two stamps on it.

When I reached the mail drop slot I saw a sign that said all items over 13 ozs must be taken to the service counter OK fine, I'll have them weigh this puppy. I went to the counter and said "Could you weigh this and tell me if it is over 13 ozs?" (note the only scale was at the counter, so I couldn't weigh it myself).

Now for the punchline, what the clerk said was that because it was not bendable it had to go as a parcel, not a letter.

$1.30 to go 220 miles. I asked for further clarification: If I put a photo in a letter and marked it do not bend, was it now a parcel? Yes.

If I sent a floppy disk or cd or camera memory card, was it now a parcel? Yes.

If I put a quarter in a envelope and mailed it, was it now a parcel? Yes.

I am providing this information in order to spare other people the embarrassment of having mail returned for insufficient postage.

Maybe it is time to allow UPS, FEDEX to compete for mail delivery.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think it might have been George Carlin who called "postal service" one of the great oxymorons of our day.

3. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    This doesn't surprise me one bit... the USPS is a joke... I refuse to use their services...

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The new postage rates are killers ... here is a note:

Letter 41¢ first oz
    The MAXIMUM size of a "letter" is 6 1/8" by 11 1/2" by 1/4" thick.
    It also cannot weigh more than 3.5 oz
    Anything larger than this is a "large envelope" - see below

It also cannot be square (add 17¢ non-machinable surcharge)
    It does not bend (add 17¢ non-machinable surcharge)
    It cannot have clasps, strings or buttons (add 17¢ non-machinable surcharge)
    It cannot have an address parallel to the short dimension (add 17¢ non-machinable surcharge)
    It cannot contain anything that makes it uneven (add 17¢ non-machinable surcharge)
    Length divided by height cannot be less than 1.3 or greater than 2.5 (add 17¢ non-machinable surcharge)

Square envelopes must be 5" x 5" or larger (with surcharge)

Large Envelopes 80¢ first oz
    This annoys me the most ... this is a new category for anything that doesn't fit the size limit above. My work uses large flat envelopes for contracts we don't want to trifold to mail. This instantly raised the price of postage another 39¢! (Yep, a one oz flat that cost 39¢ one day cost 80¢ the next. Nice little 2¢ price increase. :) )

But large envelopes have their limits ...
    12" high, 15" wide and 3/4" thick - THEN you are talking packages.

The post office should have accepted the letter as "non-machinable" with the 17¢ surcharge (unless the thickness pushed it over the 3/4" line). But this IS the USPS ... so I don't expect fairness!

5. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    The Post Office.

The DMV.

The Highway Department.

Public Schools.

What has the government done so well that makes people want it in charge of their health care?

NO THANK YOU!

6. steelhorse

steelhorse Legend

Apr 27, 2004
    Fed Ex won't move anything for $1.30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.