1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

v0x104 - History feature updates

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Earl Bonovich, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 5, 2006 #1 of 24
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    0x104 : Release Notes
    0x104 : Main Discussion Thread
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the release of the R15, there has been a lot of discussion on the "usefullness" of the History feature in the DVR+ series.

Well, DirecTV has taken noticed. And they are adding more information to the History items. These release features the first of many updates to come, as they will continue to work on enhancing the history features in future release.

Screen Image of Updated History

Notice at the bottom of that screen image:
    "This episode was deleted by the viewer. (1001)"

These types of messages will start to appear going forward on history items.
    These messages will go a long way in helping both the user and DirecTV figure out what is going on with some of the recordings.

Before you ask, no... I don't have an entire list of messages or "codes".

2. Dec 7, 2006 #2 of 24
    Xaa

Xaa Icon

Nov 17, 2005
    Man I'm glad for these improvements. I was thinking that this was an area where I was way more satisfied with TiVo. This should really alleviate that.

3. Dec 7, 2006 #3 of 24
    Bad Rex

Bad Rex Legend

Sep 25, 2006
    Drat, my signature will soon be obsolete! ;)

4. Dec 7, 2006 #4 of 24
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Earl,

Was your screen shot from the History section of the menus and then selecting an item (Heroes) from the History list?

5. Dec 7, 2006 #5 of 24
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes... it was listed in History as "deleted"
    Then when selecting it, you get the screen noted in the screen shot

6. Dec 7, 2006 #6 of 24
    jkc120

jkc120 Godfather

Sep 11, 2006
    This is awesome, thanks D*! This will not only help all of us with weird partial or deleted bugs, but it should help the D* software team debug if there is a common reason noted for these partial or deleted shows.

I wonder what happens if it's a reason D* hasn't programmed? I guess we'll find out!

7. Dec 7, 2006 #7 of 24
    btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    I look forward to these changes. Good to see that they figured out that the idea of the "future history of canceled programs" was a bit confusing.

8. Dec 7, 2006 #8 of 24
    btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006

Did anyone see the Partial bug under the last release? I know I didn't have that bug this last version and I don't recall seeing posts about it. I think they may of fixed that bug.

9. Dec 7, 2006 #9 of 24
    jkc120

jkc120 Godfather

Sep 11, 2006
    Yeah, good point. I actually haven't had the partial bug since prior to 0xEB. The only issues I've had since 0xEB are occasional lockups, which actually started with 0xFA. But I've only had 2-3 of them, which is an improvement. And they all happened when I selected "Yes, delete" after watching a show.

10. btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Sounds like we had similar experiences, 3 lockups, 2 unplayable bugs that I was able to get around and one unwatchable bug under the last release. While still not good it was better than the last release with the exception of the lockups.

11. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Just had a unwatchable this morning. The show was still live, near the end, but the recorded version wouldn't play, and trick play didn't work in the live version. (It happened to be Mr. Rodgers, so now my son hates the HR20 too, its unanimous!)

12. btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    I too had 1 unwatchable bug under 0xFA but I think they may of fixed the Partial bug. I don't recall any reports for a few weeks on that one.

13. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    It may seem confusing, but the future history is very useful. I check the history daily for all the programs the HR20 has decided to not bother recording, and I can just re-set the recording right from the history. Now, if it would just act like a DVR and automatically record things it was programmed to record, then the history would be useless (I never looked at history on my TiVo), but until the DVR features are enabled, I need the future history function.

14. btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    The problem with it was it would show that a future recording was canceled when in actuality it will be recorded. It only showed up in the future history as canceled because when it rebooted guide did not have the data so it created a future canceled history message, but when the guide finaly gets the right data for the scheduler it will add the program to the to do list but not update the history. IMO that is very confusing.

15. jkc120

jkc120 Godfather

Sep 11, 2006
    Agreed, I think they should change these sorts of "cancelled" recordings to a different label, maybe something like "rescheduled".

16. btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    I am interested to see what changes they made in this version.

17. jkc120

jkc120 Godfather

Sep 11, 2006
    I'll have to wait to test it out here as well, didn't get the update last night. So looks like early next week. :)

18. Calebrot

Calebrot Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    Now that they are getting this far with the history, a nice addition would be the ability to undelete a program that is still intact on the unit, like sometimes I get dash-dash crazy in the playlist and actually delete a program I wanted to see, as long as the unit hasn't recorded something else over it, it would be nice to be able to get it back.

19. jkc120

jkc120 Godfather

Sep 11, 2006
    Ok, so after a fresh reboot I went into the history. The first thing I noticed was an entry listed as "Won't Record". I clicked into it, but there is no "reason". I am guessing it is a repeat and that's why it's not going to record it.

Next, I saw a show still listed as "cancelled", which I know it will record since it's a first run (Jeopardy). The reason listed for this is "This episode was partially recorded because it became unavailable. (13)". Um, how did it partially record something that's schedule to record on 12/18? :lol:

I then went to the Smallville episode in the history that shows up as "deleted". Ironically, this was the show I watched then deleted, which locked my HR20 up. I rebooted and figured I'd try to force a download. Anyway, the reason shown is "this showing is over." (Funny, I would have expected "deleted by user"). :confused:

For a recorded show that I've not watched or deleted yet shows up with extra info, "This episode was recorded at 8:00p, Today. All first run episodes are set to record." Cool. The "Record series" on the left when going into a history entry is nice, too.

I went to an entry for a show that recorded in two chunks from yesterday (due to a lockup then as well), and it shows up as "partial". However, the extra info/reason only says "This episde was recorded at 9:41p, Wed 12/6. All first run episodes are set to record." I was expecting a reason for why it was partial (though in this case it IS a partial recording and not a partial bug so maybe the info is accurate/proper).

20. gr8reb8

gr8reb8 AllStar

Aug 21, 2006
    Or, "Unknown, (since my designers did not let me store the guide on the harddisk)" :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.