1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vacation with a HR-34 or HR-24? Doable?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Lazy Senior, May 18, 2012.

1. Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    We are going to our summer home for 3 weeks of RnR soon. I recently got a new installation of a HR34 and HR-24. The HR-34 has a power thingy connected to it. THe cable goes to a box under the house with a lot of connectors on it. From there 1 wire goes to the Dish. This was all installed a few months ago and I do not want to mess with the installation except to disconnect one DVR.

I have a Directv Dish stored in my garage with a 4 or 5 year LNB which is a Slimline oval dish- a big one and says DTVSDLNB on the LNB. It says builtin Multi Switch. It has 4 connectors on the LNB. Also my summer house has an old circa 1990's 18inch round Directv Dish on the house. Wire already is hooked up in the house. However it has not been used for 12 years or so.

WHat do I need to take for a bare minimum installation?

1. Which DVR should I take? Which one would be the easiest to get working?
    2. Should I drag the 5 year old dish along or will the 18 inch Dish be ok?
    4. Do I need to take the power thingy that is hanging on the HR-34 with me?
    5. Does the Hr-24 need the power thingy?
    6. Is there a Receiver setup I have to do after hooking up one of the DVR's to a different Dish?

I can not get to the power thingy easily but it is connected in series with the coax coming out of the HR-34. It is also plugged into a wall socket.

I do not care about getting HD. I need only one tuner. I do not spend a lot of time watching tv when the lake is only 50 ft away. However, we are in the boonies and no local reception is possible. I want to receive the standard basic Directv channels like CNN, Discovery etc.

Is it doable with what I already have in the way of equipment? I know how to aim the dish and have a basic satellite meter which I have used in the past with Dish Network equipment.

Thanks

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    you best bet is to take the HR24 since the HR34 requires a SWM system. also depending how far your summer house is, depends whether you get locals or not.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Either of those dishes is only going to give you an SD signal. If that is adequate for your vacation, just use the 18" round dish you already have there.
    As noted above, take the HR24.
    18" should do the job for SD. Neither will do HD.
    No, that is only for the SWM dish on your house.
    Not for the dishes you are considering. It would IF you had an SWM dish.
    Yes, and this will probably be the hardest part of your project. Hook up the HR24 at the new location, connected to the 18" dish. On power up, it won't find anything because it is set for SWM. Go into satellite setup and select the 18" round dish with multiswitch (probably the first menu option). Then continue from there. You will only get SD channels.
    Hopefully your old 18" dish is still aimed. If not, then you can use your meter and aim that, it is an easy dish to align.

4. Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    Thanks Carl6. Your answer was very helpful and your instructions was exactly what I was looking for. The HR-24 and the 18 inch Dish are going be introduced to each other.

FWIW I had used the 18 inch Dish many many years ago when I was a "Early" Directv customer. You are right, the 18 inch round Dish was very easy to aim. I remember when Walmart and Montgomery Ward used to sell them for around $50 - with a receiver..

I am rather surprised that it will still be compatible with a newer DVR. SD is fine, anything is good in the Boonies.

5. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    Get a portable slimline for just over a hundred bucks and take whatever you want. Both is that suits you. That is what we use as we are on the road full time.

And the best part will be when you cuss whoever took out the tone to tune on the DTV DVRs.

6. Lije Baley

Lije Baley AllStar

Dec 7, 2003
    As you're satisfied with SD, the 18" dish already mounted is, as discussed, sufficient. However if your slimline dish is like this, it is capable of receiving an HD signal. Mounting it is a bit more hassle, but many of us do it frequently with tripod mounts when out in an RV. Yours would only need to be aimed once.

7. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    If you use a tripod, be sure to have a tie down system to hold the dish firmly in place. If you do not and the wind blows, that dish makes as good a sail as it does a reflector.

8. Lije Baley

Lije Baley AllStar

Dec 7, 2003
    Three gallon jug of water on bungee cord works great.

9. tomspeer46

tomspeer46 Legend

Nov 17, 2011
    Eastern NC...
    I'll give you an alternative: I spend more time at my summer home on the lake, and what I did is call DTV's mover's connection, and tell them I was moving. Because it had been only a short time since my original installation at my winter home, they charged me about $80 to have the service guy come out, install a new Slimline SWM HD dish, SWM splitter and power inserter (that "power thingy") and align the dish. Now I go back and forth between the two locations, bringing the two receivers with me, and plugging them in when I get there. Since my two locations are 700 miles apart, I have to call DTV and have them switch my local stations in order to get NBC,CBS,ABC, FOX, and PBS. If you are close enough to your primary home, that would not be necessary in the future. I spend roughly 6 months at each location, so it is not a big deal to have them switch.

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Or a Bucket of Concrete. Along with an Accutrac II Dish Alignment Meter and a SL3 Slimline Dish. :D

11. Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    If the summer home was closer to me I would probably do this. I live in S.IL and the summer house is in N. Wi about 800 miles away. My mother-inlaw owns it, no one uses it but me and the wife. We spend 3 weeks up there usually every year. We watch little TV, there are too many other things to do. FOr the last several years I have been using Dish Network up there. In fact my Dish Network dish is up there, I mounted that on a pier pole, it was the only place I could find that would miss the trees. Of course every year the pier comes out of the water as does the satellite dish.

The Directv 18 inch Dish is permanently mounted on the side of the garage. It has not been used for many years. Last time I used it was with a Directv SD receiver.

I can do without HD, all I really want is CNN and Discovery channel, my wife wants Lifetime.

Is there a web link I can see what channels I will receive on this 18 inch dish, a HR-24, only SD channels?

Thanks to all.

12. tomspeer46

tomspeer46 Legend

Nov 17, 2011
    Eastern NC...
    You can download the spreadsheets in this thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=203806

But, the simple answer is that you will get all of the national channels in SD. They are all on satellites at 101 degrees west latitude, which is where your 18" dish should be pointing. Whatever you are authorized to get on your home setup, with the exception of your local broadcast channels, will be there.

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The 4-5 year old Slimline will indeed do HD.

14. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    harsh is correct about the older slimline getting HD. so +1
    If you take the HR-24 you will indeed need to change the setup to a standard multi switch.
    One thing overlooked that you will need to do is change your guide channels.
    menu > settings and help > settings > display > preferences
    Change "hide sd duplicates" to either "hide hd channels" or "show all channels", otherwise the receiver will be looking for only hd channels with any channel that has hd simulcast and will give connectivity errors. Quick and easy change and if you do this more than once it will become second nature.
    Enjoy the R&R

note: after changing guide channels the receiver may bog down for a few minutes while making the changes but becomes spritely soon after

15. Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    You probably saved me a lot of agony and frustration. I had completely forgotten about that. Thank you, Thank you. I really appreciate all the info I have gotten.