1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vaild for grounding or not?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by urnote96, Feb 23, 2009.

1. urnote96

urnote96 Legend

Jun 22, 2004
    was told today that these are not vaild for grounding at the meter box.....are these vaild per directv?

Ground; Meter Pan Clamp November-04 N/A UL Listed-Meter Pan Ground Monarch 3 screws NO

http://www.a1components.com/itemdisplayn.aspx?item=11613

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Hopefully one of the installers or an electrician can offer some advice. I don't know the answer to the question.

3. Simmerman

Simmerman AllStar

Apr 10, 2008
    We use a corner clamp, same idea though. As far as I know, our warehouse only buys DTV approved materials.

Looks good to me. I always scratch away the paint surface when I am attaching the ground clamp to the grounding source.

4. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Great advice! I sometimes overlook that....

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    They are DirecTV approved. HSPs have a long history of hiring morons to be head QC'ers, and these idiots will declare something "not allowed" because some installer screwed up and they want to feel important. If you talk to an electrician, they will PREFER that you use these, as they don't want you messing around inside the box at all.

Also, these front-panel clamps have screws on the two outside holes that are designed to cut through the paint and dig into the metal. You don't have to do anything special; just tighten the screws, then tighten the lock-nuts.

Many other types of grounding equipment DO require scraping off the paint (ground straps are a good example), so do so when it makes sense to.

6. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I am not a big fan of that type of clamps. They have a history of having a questionable electrical connection (if any) and typically are barely connected anyway mechanically. I would strongly suggest using a 'real' ground clamp to the electrical system's ground rod. Remember that each wire to the ground rod gets its own clamp. No sticking 2 wires into the same ground clamp. At about $3 each at Home Depot or Lowes, doing it right won't break the bank. And remember, if using more than 1 ground rod, they must each be bonded to each other (to ensure equi-potential) and that ground rods should have 8 feet of continuous ground contact (meaning an 8' ground rod should be just about all of the way into the Earth).