1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Value of Sports Pack in the Late Spring & Summer Months

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by birdie_ace, Mar 13, 2009.

Tags:
  1. birdie_ace

birdie_ace Mentor

Apr 11, 2008
    I purchased the Sports Pack last August and have enjoyed the NCAA football, NCAA basketball, and NCAA hockey games that are shown. I feel it is money well spent.

With the college hockey and college basketball seasons near their end, I question how much "valuable sports programming" I will get from the Sports Pack over the late Spring and Summer months.

I would appreciate some feedback regarding the pros and cons of cancelling Sports Pack at this time and then adding it again in late August (until college football starts back up).

For those of you that actually do this every year, in your opinion, when is the most opportune time to cancel and why?

2. mikewsu

mikewsu AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    I had Sports Pack back in Aug-March of last year. I canceled for the same reason as you: lack of games I wanted to watch in Spring/Summer.

3. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    In previous years, there's been quite a bit of college baseball coverage from the southern RSN's.

4. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    I like to watch NESN's pre and post game Red Sox coverage. That isn't available on MLBEI.

5. Red Dog

Red Dog Godfather

Aug 3, 2008
    None to me. I always subscribe in mid-Sept and cancel it after the Saturday of March Championship Week.

6. prushing

prushing DIRECTV A-Team

Feb 14, 2007
    I'm most likely canceling after this weekend and then I'll add it back in the fall. I need to look and see how many ACC baseball games will actually be shown on the Florida RSNs that I won't have on my local RSN. Most likely is not enough.

7. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Same here. I also do watch college baseball.

8. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    I have 2 or 3 RSN's without the sports pack. I use to sub and then drop during the EPL season since that was the longest of the sports I cared to watch. I don't sub to sports packages. During the summer I do miss some Cubs games without the sports pack that I would normally be able to see. But I can track the games on the internet.

Long story short, I get to watch nearly all of the teams I really care about without the sports pack. Important to me are Grizzlies, Cubs, and Manchester United. I can watch the Grizzlies on local RSN's or alternates, the Cubs will usually be on an alternate that I get, and I can watch ManU games on the internet.

9. vansmack

vansmack Godfather

Aug 14, 2006
    Agreed. So I subscribe to Sports Pack from late August until early May (as well as Setanta), then cancel for the summer. On occasion there's a summer football tournament I watch, but I rarely keep the Sports Pack for all 12 months.

10. mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    I used to watch a lot of EPL games, but now have 2 kids so I don't have as much time as I used to. Depending on how much you want and if you can watch them live, there are ways to watch the games free.

11. VandyCWG

VandyCWG Godfather

Dec 18, 2006
    Well, after readin this, I canceled my Sports Pack today, mostly for the same reason, blackout rules will take away most baseball, so the value is basically none.

Thanks for pointing out my overspending!

12. loudo

loudo DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    I keep it year round, I don't care for and never watch college football or basketball, but do like hockey, baseball and other college sports. I also enjoy watching many of the locally produced shows by some of the RSNs. I also subscribe to Center Ice and the MLB package.

13. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I get ESPN360 through AT&T I have little need for sports pack. If I could get the CHA tournament though it would be worth it.

14. Fenway

Fenway Legend

Aug 24, 2007
    Me too :)

15. Jestr40

Jestr40 Godfather

Jul 22, 2007
    The value of Sports Pack should NEVER be questioned. :) IMO

16. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    I keep it year-round, because its too much trouble to cancel it and restart it.

I am one of the people in the "overlap" area (claimed by multiple cities' teams) so it brings me extra baseball and hockey (Pirates and Penguins) but I am really a fan of neither team, but its more baseball and hockey.

There is a lot of college baseball through the end of May.

ESPNU has some good stuff, but, of course, college is out of session.

17. 1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    I will sub once MLB starts. I enjoy watching the pre and post game shows combined with EI. And the joy of watching SNY after a tough Mets loss is...............priceless!!:hurah:

18. JonSamuels

JonSamuels Legend

Jun 26, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    A lot of it just depends on where you live. Sports Pack for me in the summer gets me the Twins, Cardinals, Brewers, and Royals games in addition to the Cubs and White Sox games that I get without it. Six total MLB teams makes it well worth it for me.

19. birdie_ace

birdie_ace Mentor

Apr 11, 2008
    Thanks for all of your replies!

It seems from most of your postings, the primary value of Sports Pack in the late Spring and Summer is the baseball, soccer, and pre/post game programming. Since I am not a baseball or soccer fan, I am leaning towards cancelling sometime in April. That way I can catch a few more college hockey games and even the occasional AHL hockey game. Under this scenario, I would save roughly $50 (4-5 months). That savings can go towards next years Center Ice package.

20. Prince Oz

Prince Oz Legend

Jan 15, 2009
    I to for the same reason. Tigers, Cardinals, Cubs, Red Sox and hockey till end of July. Also, my college football teams still have there talk shows which gets really good as season approaches by late August. Worth keeping year round.