1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Venting HRDVR's and cooling pads?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by MONSTERMAN, Aug 1, 2010.

1. MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN Godfather

Aug 18, 2007
    Crystal Bay...
    Hey,
    I noticed that my HR21-700 got really hot, 125 degrees hot sometimes. Now it is dead, will be replacing. I had nothing blocking both sides of the HRDVR where the vents were on a shelf by itself. I did have an AM21 sitting on top of the HRDVR which also seemed to get very hot.

These things definitely aren't energy friendly (no energy stars for something that gets this hot). What is a good remedy for venting these power hungry hot boxes to prevent future shutdowns? Possibly, having the AM21 on the bottom? But heat rises so I figured this wouldn't be a good option, plus the AM21 doesn't even have any vents on it.

Also, where would I put a cooling pad for these units? Should the cooling pad be on top of the AM21 then the HRDVR on top of the cooling pad?

1. What would be the best inexpensive cooling pad (make, model)?
    2. Any pads more energy efficient than others?
    3. A pad with 2 fans and 2 speeds?
    4. Does the HR24 have a USB port to plug the cooling pad into?
    5. Do you guys with cooling pads just leave them on all the time or turn them off (unplug) when the DVR is off?
    6. Does the USB port supply power all the time or turn off when the HRDVR is turned off?

Damn, lots of question:rolleyes:

Thanks

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I've never used cooling and never had an issue. Are you sure heat caused your problems?

I ask because 125° is not out of line with other receivers. All my receiver, in closed cabinets, stacked with other equipment all run in the 120°s.

Mike

3. MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN Godfather

Aug 18, 2007
    Crystal Bay...
    I think it was the heat. Used to always run at 115 degrees max until about 6 months ago, then usually in the upper 120's. I could see how heat would definitely shorten the lifespan of these hot boxes, just like any other electronic device.

4. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Understood.

It is unusual to have the internal temp rise 10° over six months with no changes in location of air flow. It seems as if something was going and heated up until it gave out.

If that’s the case then it would seem you don’t need any additional cooling. If you search the forum you’ll find what the normal operating temp is for whatever is the replacement model you get.

I deactivated my HR20-700 last month but it ran in the mid 120°s since Jan ’07. My HR21-100 has an HR24, an HDMI switch on top of it, and an eSATA enclosure next to it. It’s been running in the 120°s for almost eighteen months. It used to run ≈115° before I closed in a cabinet and stacked stuff on top of it.

Mike

5. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    My HR20-700 runs at about 125 degrees and has for about three years. My newer HR21-100 runs at 110 degrees.

I would not stack an AM21 either above or below a DVR without a fair amount of separation -- an inch or so -- between the units.

I don't use cooling pads, but if I did I wouldn't turn them off when the DVR isn't on. The hard disk still rotates and the unit is still pretty warm when in standby.

USB port is powered all the time, unless of course you unplug the DVR. I can charge my MP3 player on it.

6. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I'm with you on that one, Mike; you're preachin' to the choir.:preach:

It seems that something that caused the heat also caused the failure rather than the heat being the cause of failure (IOW, the failure caused the heat first, the total failure later). That is not uncommon.

But my favorite trick for keeping DVRs and other gear cool is to put a $9 clip-on 5" fan from Walmart pointed strategically at the back of it. That probably would not have prevented your eventual problem, but it might have, or it might have delayed it for some time. Heat shortens the life of electronics, pure and simple. Less heat = longer life.