1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verizon/DirecTV Trials?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Dr_J, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Dr_J

Dr_J Icon

Apr 15, 2007
    According to this story:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-Confirms-Fixed-Residential-LTE-Plans-116721

Verizon has been conducting LTE trials with DirecTV for faster Internet service in rural areas. I don't know what the price would be if this ultimately came to pass; I don't know if it would be competitive with cable for urban areas. On the other hand, the story also suggest that the FiOS rollout is over, and those that don't have it now will never get it.

2. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    They are still rolling out FIOS but they have drawn the official lines to where it stops. If you find the rest of that financial call it talks about finishing the FIOS roll out.

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I'd love to see this LTE stuff come out, but Peoria still doesn't have LTE service here so I wouldn't be able to use it. Any alternative to my expensive/slow HughesNet service would be great though. I've even tried to talk to Frontier a few times about what it would take to get DSL to my house but they never return my calls/emails. They've got DSL service 1.5 miles down the road, but say I can't get it. I even told them I'd be willing to pay $500 or so up front to help them upgrade their system to get it to my house but they won't ever call me back.

4. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    $500 is a drop in the bucket compared to the likely cost of the upgrades they'd have to perform. You can't bribe a company like that. If they don't think it's worth it, and they aren't legally required to provide service there, it's not happening.

5. jeepwrang3

jeepwrang3 Legend

Aug 19, 2006
    I'd love to be on the Rollout Test as my neighborhood would certainly be a good testground as everyone has Satellite, and we're not serviced to wired broadband(nor a good wireless option).

Problem is Verizon cell signals currently aren't solid, i get about 1 bar at my house, but 1000 yards away they get 4 bars. We're at the end of a peninsula, so we have to draw a signal from across the chesapeake bay.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It sounds like a great idea... let's see if it ends up being plausible.

7. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Depending on what it would take it most certainly could cover a good portion the cost. If all they had to do was bury new cable from the node where they have DSL down the road to my house it probably would come close. If they had to upgrade a bunch of nodes or other stuff you are right it would not be close.

That being said I figured it didn't hurt to offer. I'm paying almost $100/month for internet right now, if I was able to get DSL and cut that cost down to $50 a month or less I would definitely be willing to put up $500 or so to do it because I would come out ahead after about 10 months.

Also, it's not just me wanting service, I have 2 other houses by me that would most likely sign up too. I think they are both using US Cellular aircards right now.

And bribe, seriously? I'm not trying to bribe anyone. It's not like I saw some line worker pulled off to the side of the road on my street and offered him $500 to hook me up. This was at a fair where Frontier had sales people talking to everyone trying to sign them up. I told them I was interested but at this time the don't offer service at my address but they do doen the road, and I would be interested in getting it if they could extend their service to my house. I realize I am not as probable to get service to my residence without possibly paying more than a normal residential customer would. Obviously if they still don't think it would be worth their time and effort that is up to them and I am fine with that. I would just prefer to use them if I could. Companies do stuff like this all the time. Say you live in a neighborhood that has service, but your home is much further back off the road than the others. A lot of the time they make you pay for the extra length of the run compared to others. Same with electric companies etc.

8. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Sounds like a bribe to me.

9. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Is it a bribe when you pay a DirecTV installer to do a wall fish? No that's paying for something that is beyond their standard free install.

Is it a bribe to offer to pay for a restaurant to bacon on your cheeseburger which normally comes without bacon?

That's all I'm doing here, is offering to pay if there would be costs involved above the standard free install. So they don't automatically just say, no we won't give you service without telling me the reason would be the install would be too expensive without me covering part of the cost.

Either way this is getting too far off topic. The simple fact is I hope this works and they start rolling it out to more areas. I would definitely be interested if it were available to me. Although I recently read that Peoria is still not getting LTE service because Caterpillar pissed off Verizon when they dumped a lot of corporate cell phone plans a couple years ago when the economy tanked.

10. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    DSL doesn't work the same way as cable. Cable can simply put signal boosters to extend the range of their service. For DSL you have to be within X feet of the telephone company's "central office". The exception is if you have fiber optics to your house. If you have copper then distance is critical.

Things may have changed a bit but historically...

if you're within 6000 feet of the central office you can get 6mbps connections

if you're within 12000 feet, it drops to 3mbps

12000 to 18000 feet gets you 1.5mbps

more than 18000 feet, fuggitaboutit

You would have to pay for the telephone company to either run fiber optic lines to your house (and you would have be within 6000 feet of a fiber optic headend) or else pay for them to build a new central office. Either one would be a bit more than $500. :)

I do feel some of your pain. I'm in an exurban area that fortunately has cable internet but it's frustrating that I can't leverage some competition with DSL. I'm at the mercy of the cable company's rates. The area is well populated but it's just too far to a central office for DSL.

11. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    If you ask, and he says no, and you proceed to offer him $50 to do it, then it's a bribe.
    I've never come across a restaurant you'd have to bribe for something like that, but see the above scenario.
    I think the definition I posted, which came from an authority on definitions, was pretty clear. If you disagree with it, take it up with them.

12. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Well, the guy down the street has 3mbps service, so I should be right around the edge of 1.5mbps then. I just wish they would try.

I just hate that they seem to just go by some computer program that says you can't get service here, and don't even look into it further. One of my wife's coworkers tried for about a year to get Frontier DSL at his house, they kept telling him he couldn't. A year later a new couple moved into their neighborhood and was able to sign up for frontier when they moved in. They were further down the road, so it wasn't like he was further away from anything. He finally was able to get them to send a tech out and he was able to get service no problem. For some reason the computer system just had his address in as not being able to get service even though their system said his neighbor could.

I'm not askig anyone to do anything illegal, immoral, unethical etc. which bribes usually entail. I'm just trying to get service, and become a paying customer of theirs.

13. markrogo

markrogo Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    DSL can use remote terminals; they don't need to build entirely new central offices to extend DSL coverage. They are most often used to get past the 18,000 ft. limitation. More here:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/pronto?text=1

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I still don't quite understand DIRECTV's specific role in this system. Is the Verizon terrestrial link to a local cell site acting as the Internet upstream path at 4G speeds and one of DIRECTV's satellites furnishing the downstream path or something?

15. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    I don't believe that there is anything more to it than a bundling plan, just like they currently do with Verizon, Qwest and others. Verizon Cell Phone, Verizon Data Plan and DirecTV Video. Sounds like a sweet Triple Play to me!

16. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I'm completely surrounded by FiOS service and I'm only four blocks from the nearest CO. And yet I have no FiOS service. Have never been given an answer as to why my village was skipped over.