1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

verizon fios who else has it

Discussion in 'The OT' started by la24philly, Oct 4, 2012.

1. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    Hi, I want to get some feedback for those who have FIOS.

It finally is on my block and I'm finally able to sign up.

So I have a installation scheduled today.

I signed up for the Ultimate HD plan, the internet is 150/65 and the phone.

I was able to get the multiroom dvr which is 20 a month free for a year, I also was able to get a 2nd HD box free for 2 years, and have a regular reciever which is 11.99 a month.

So that actually isn't bad. I'm on a 2 year contract and my bill is 168 for 12 months 188 months 13-24 and then the full price will be 214 when the deals are over.

As said, I never had it comcast and directv are the only 2 companies I ever had services with.

Of course I won't have to pay for 2 services anymore and its nice that FIOS does have CSN philly and TCN.

But for those who have fios and have tried it, do you like it and is it really great as its hyped to be?

2. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I switched last year when I bought a new home in a FiOS area.

First and foremost, the Internet is fantastic. Very fast, very consistent; you'll love it.

The phone service is, well, phone service. It just works. I have 2 lines at home, and I'm happy with them.

Now, for the TV ...

I still miss my DirecTV. I liked the DVR interface better, and of course, I thought DirecTV was an excellent company to do business with.

Having said that, FiOS TV is certainly very good. They did a software update last year that made a gigantic improvement in the DVR; it's much, much better than ever before. I managed to lock in on the "free multi-room DVR for Life" promo, so that's a major benefit.

I think you'll be happy. The kicker for me was saving $70/mo or so from my old Cable Internet+Cable Phone+DirecTV bill. That's a lot of money.

3. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010

Yeah, I heard the internet is very good and is much realiable. Sometimes during the day or certain hours my comcast internet would be slow at times, I would do speed test, at different times of the day an notice a lower speed then i paid for, usually happens in the evening. So I'm hoping this new Internet is much stable then comcast.

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You're dropping DirecTV? If so, expect a lot less HD feeds from EI, LP, CI.

5. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    they added 4 HD channels for CI and EI.

1 hd for LP,

so your right for the most part, but I'll get the league pass online.

With the fast internet I'm getting, I should be able to stream HD via LP online, I can then put a wire on in the TV and watch it that way.

I'll see if it works for the others to to maximize the HD.

but its a great trade i think, I gain CSN and TCN

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I've had FIOS Internet for 8 years.... Love it.

Their TV and phone are not for me, though. I'll stick with DirecTV and Google Voice.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Suspend your DirecTV service, make sure FIOS TV is right for you, then cancel DirecTV. Makes things much easier if you don't like FIOS.

I have a similar service for Internet, fantastic for that.