1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verizon to end money for upgrades?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Lord Vader, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I got this tidbit from an executive whom I know who works for Verizon.

If you are a Verizon customer and have credit for a new phone, at the end of the year that program will no longer exist. Everyone with credit will lose it.
    This goes with their new iPhone coming out, at which time they will no longer give money for upgrades.

I'm not a Verizon customer, so I don't know exactly what this will mean.

2. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    where have you seen Apple announcing that they will release an iphone to verizon?

3. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    That's common knowledge by now. The iPhone is scheduled within the next month or two to be available to Verizon customers. Watch a mass exodus of AT&T customers like you've never before seen in a company.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    So their "New every two" program is going away? I don't think I've heard of that happening, which means that if it is, they haven't given customers enough warning.

And, if that is the case, that will be a benefit for the other carriers. Who would want to have to carry around a three year old iPhone or have to pay full non-discounted price and still have a two year contract?

I'm hoping I'm just misunderstanding.

On the iPhone, there are certain things that are easy to predict with them, even without them announcing anything. They can't start having the manufacturer's making CDMA iPhones without us knowing about it.

5. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Great.... and I was holding off until after Christmas for a Droid.

Of course, a Verizon iPhone has been in the rumor mill for years now. But, isn't the Android phones really popular now?

6. cosmo

cosmo AllStar

Mar 3, 2005
    i doubt it but i hope so then i could get a iphone 4 and unlock it for my t mobile plan.

7. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I've been out of contract for 6 months now. It's great to be a free agent!

8. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    They would be the only contract cell provider to drop that. The Verizon iphone still isn't confirmed, and even though the rumors are stronger now than they were the last two years there is still no firm announcement our even a leaked release date.

Android for life, baby.

9. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    It's estimated that by the end of 2011, there will be more Android phones in use than iPhones, which doesn't surprise me. When I was looking to get away from my BlackBerry, I looked at the iPhone and the HTC EVO & Samsung Epic, the latter two being with Sprint, of course.

I did my research, played around--a lot--with all three, and went with the EVO. I do NOT regret this one bit. I think that phone rocks and is the absolute best Android phone out there.

The biggest advantage the iPhone has over it is battery life. iPhones use a different battery technology. However, this was negated when I got an extended battery for my EVO. Now I can go a day or two without charging it.

The EVO has a bigger screen, a larger number of FREE apps (Apple leads in total number of apps, but as industry analysts will tell you, a good majority of them are paid), HTC's Touch Sense, and a host of other features that IMHO blow away the iPhone. Plus I like the fact that the Android platform is open source.

One big advantage Sprint has over Verizon is the cost. Verizon is known for being the costliest cell provider out there. I can get unlimited mobile to mobile calls free, unlimited data and web use, and unlimited text messaging, all for a monthly cost that is literally one THIRD to one FOURTH of what it would be on Verizon. Seriously, I priced out what my average monthly charges would be on Verizon for the same usage. My bill would run anywhere from $250 to $400 per month. With Sprint, I run around $80 to $90. That is a huge difference.

Article on AT&T ranking last by Consumer Reports.

News article on iPhone coming to Verizon.

10. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009

Same here. I have a bout a 5 year old LG VX-something. It makes and receives phone calls just fine. Don't need it to make coffee for me.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You can unlock an iPhone and put it on T-Mobile, but keep in mind all the hassle. One, 3G won't work, the iPhone doesn't have the necessary frequencies for T-Mobile. You have to get a micro sim or carefully convert a mini SIM over.

Then to unlock you have to jailbreak, and be very careful not to upgrade to new OS's until the unlocking community has an unlock for it. Many find it to be a lot of hassle.

12. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire

Screw the iPhone and trying the hassle of unlocking it. Get an Android phone. They're better anyway.

13. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Unfortunately, D* seems to be targeting Apple products for their new "gee whiz" offerings. Personally, I hate Apple, so I just ignore the D* "stuff" like Nomad, but I DO wish they'd support Android for stuff other than scheduling.

14. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    really it is common knowledge - would not put book on it till Apple officially states that it will be there. This rumor has been floating around since 2007. Will believe it when Apple officially offers the phone through verizon. Would be nice to see it on their new LTE network - 10GB for 80.00 a month and 10.00 per gb overage charges. Verizon needs something else besides a USB cell modm on that network. If you are putting book on teh cdma chip contract that apple agreed to, remember china is the largest country that utilizes cdma and the iphone is sold there. add to teh fact there are court documents on the net that show ATT's exclusive contract for the Iphone does not end till 2012

Really hope verizon does get the stupid phone, just to stop the whining about it, then watch with amusement as the same type of whines for "service" and problems start on the verizon forum.

/rofl "mass exodus"? Only those that are willing to put the money out to pay their etf (325 if Iphone 4) and are willing to pay the cost of the phone from verizon, will also be amused when verizon iniates the capped data plan with the introduction of the "iphone for verizon" Sorry the iphone is a small portion of the companies 83 million plus cell phone market portion. Would be willing to state that the majority of Iphone users that qualified for the upgrade to the 4 accepted the terms and locked themselves into another 2 year term, which has the higher etf charges on it (effective 06/2010)

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Nomad should work on my Droid as well as my 14" Laptop so I will be Glad when it arrives.

16. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Yes, there will be a mass exodus over the first few months of Verizon having the iPhone. The exact numbers will be dependent on how many can get out of their AT&T contracts.

17. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Who will be Wiiling to Pay $80/month for 10 GB of 4G LTE Service???

You can't Netstream Video so what would you need it for that you can't use 3G such as Email, Websurfing, etc.

I just don't get it or understand who will constitute that Market that will Pony up $80 for 10 GB/Month.

What am I missing???

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Keep in mind that even if the New in Two program does end, that will not be a significant loss for both Verizon or subscribers. While it is nice to get an extra discount, New in Two customers either get a $50 or $100 credit (determined by when you first started with Verizon) towards the new phone, which if activated with a two year commitment is sold at a reduced cost to begin with.

So while, it is advertised as a new phone every two years, it was really that you could get a new phone for free if you committed for another two years and the two-year commitment price on the new phone was $100 (or $50) or less.

Phones will still be available at a reduced cost if the subscriber is willing to re-up for another 2 years.

- Merg

19. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    So, which Droid am I looking for? The Droid X or the Droid 2?

20. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Either one will work. Look at both and compare the screen size and decide if you need a keyboard or just the touch screen. I have the Droid 1 and never use the keyboard. Really like the Droid.