1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Verizon Wireless Said to Start Offering IPhone in January

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by BubblePuppy, Jun 30, 2010.

1. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...ffering-iphone-ending-at-t-s-exclusivity.html

This seems to be very solid.
    So do early buyers turn their new phone in and wait and jump to Verizon? Will the iphone4 be the exact design as the AT&T phone? I think some early buyers that hate AT&T might have some decisions to make.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    And you know, maybe the rumor's true this time. At some point Apple's got to bow to popular demand, it would be foolish not to. I remember when AT&T had an exclusive with the RAZR, and eventually it got to be available on every carrier.

3. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    So did the previous 7. ;)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2001...ons_to_doubt_the_latest_rumors.html?tk=hp_blg

As unhappy as I've been with AT&T customer service lately, I still wouldn't switch to Verizon. Having voice & data at the same time is a big deal to me.

4. mutelight

mutelight Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    Agreed, also I get a great discount through my company, we have AT&T repeaters in our buildings so wherever I am I have service unlike Sprint and Verizon, also, recently I have been getting 4Mbps download speeds.

5. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    With any rumor it is a wait and see. I know we won't switch to Verizon for any reason, over priced is one thing, and being able to be on the net and talk is important to me as well, that's why I didn't go to Sprint for the Evo even though Sprint is cheaper than at&t.
    But even a rumor can affect peoples decision to upgrade or wait awhile to see what happens.

6. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I'm not unhappy with AT&T's service here. But there is no way I am going to Verizon. With them off-loading all their landlines here to an underfunded Frontier, if my money is not good enough for them for a landline, then it is not good enough for them for wireless.

And yes I know Verizon Wireless is not exactly the same company as Verizon corporate, but they are close enough.

7. tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    Plus when something goes wrong with a Verizon phone you just can't pop out a card and put it in a new one. Loaner type phones are hrad to come buy. One of my techs' had a blackberry issue on Monday. He had to drop the phone off at Verizon then go back at the end of the day to pick it up. I could go without food and water longer that I could without a cell phone or satellite.

8. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    FWIW, you can activate any other handset for your account rather quickly. I never through away phones when I upgrade. You never know when you need to get through an equipment issue.

I was also told by a VZ reseller, that they got an email from Verizon Wireless saying the cdma iphone for Verizon was due out in July. I took it for what it was worth, hearsay. I'll believe it when I see it.

Actually for my computer tech level (do networking for small to med size businesses) I've gotten by without a smart phone, and really don't know if I need it. I am usually in front of good bandwidth, and have yet to think, "I really need a smartphone" I'm sure it will be just like when I got off dial up 11 years ago, I'll wonder why I took so long, and how I could never go back.

9. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Same old song and dance, but I hope it is true this time.

10. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    Apple probably sold Verizon all of the leftover 2g and 3g phones.

11. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    Verizon uses a different network than AT&T so none of the iPhone models works on Verizon. Apple will have to make an iPhone specifically for Verizon.

12. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    Yes. It was a joke. Verizon's desperation to have the iPhone such that it would buy an incompatible product with its infrastructure.

13. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    So, RIM, HTC, MOTOROLA, are able to make phones for all the different carriers but Apple isn't?
    :lol:

14. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I have an iMac, so getting a Droid would be a difficult choice for me. To my knowledge, none of the android phones come with Mac software, but I did find this on cnet.com: The missing sync for android It's $39.95, and another reason for me to wait and see.

15. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Check out Doubletwist:
    http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt

I use it to sync my Nexus 1 with my itunes and zune media.

16. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Unlike the iPhone, you don't have to touch a computer to sync your Android device. Why should you need to sync your info with a cable when it's already connected to the Internet?

17. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    With Mobile Me (for $99/year), your email, calendars, contacts, bookmarks, etc are synced instantly OTA across all of your devices (iPhones, iPods, iPads, Mac & PC computers). The iPhone only needs to be plugged into a computer to sync music and apps.

I know some people also use Google's free syncing to achieve the same thing on the iPhone.

18. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    As many times as I wipe and install custom roms on my Nexus1, the ota Google sync feature makes it so easy, and it's free.

19. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Aside from picking one phone service vendor or another (I happen to have both)...the biggest impact is offering a choice in vendors, not to mention the inevitable competition it will promote in terms of pricing going forward.

If I could move my daughter's 3GS to Verizon today, I'd do it so fast, AT&T's globe would spin. :D

20. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    The real issue is that each carrier can,and does,modify the standard OS to their liking. Features or apps can be added that are unique to that carrier, or disable features they don't want to support.
    That is one reason my BB were unlocked and running non ATT OS, and why I bought a Nexus1, rooted it, and run custom roms.
    Apple can easily make a "world" phone that would run on several carriers, but would have to modify ios for each carrier's demands, or allow each carrier to make their own modifications in house, and I doubt Apple would let that happen.