1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very Confused, I need to add another HD-DVR to my house

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by homerofwar, Sep 17, 2009.

1. homerofwar

homerofwar New Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Ok so I'm so confused. I always read, how everyone says to order the Reciever Directly from DirecTv because you get Free installation right? idk, im just so confused the total came out to being this when i called.

$199.99 - HD-DVR
    $49.99 - Installation
    $19.99 - To Ship it to the Installer
    $270.00 - TOTAL

Plus on top of the lease fee of $5 a month, to me it just adds up to ALLOT of money just to have another tv hooked up, they said they cant give me any discounts because im "too late in the game" (im 8 months into my contract), and said if I had called earlier like a few months earlier they could of helped me out, makes no sense to me cause I did call like a few months ago and they wouldnt help me out at all.

I love DirecTV its a great service, and I understand the lease fee and all that stuff, it just the installation fee and having to pay to ship it to the installer is just allot of money.

Is this right? and Ive read it on allot of forums that you get free installation when you add an additional receiver. Now no offense, but this HD-DVR are garbage there slow, take sometimes up to 2 to 3 second just to change the channel, and there no way in hell i can honestly see myself paying nearly $300 for a piece of **** haha, I just need another hddvr receiver for my hdtv in my room thats been with out service for 8 months now, is there anything i can do?

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Your short time with them is whats causing the installation charge. About the only things you can do is to talk to a CSR and try and get some of the charges waved, or if you can install it yourself.

3. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    if you are handy you can run coax yourself. can purchase dvr at solid signal or best buy, etc.

4. homerofwar

homerofwar New Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Well I actually work at Best Buy, and own a crimping set just some problems, My drill was stolen, and the location of the HDTV is on the complete opposite side of the dish, like the dish is on the one corner of the house, and this is the opposite corner, it would be Allot of Coax cable liek about 300feet for two cables, and besides the fact that im not even sure how all the Cables are hooked up to the Dish, I mean I have 4 Coax cables just coming out of my Slimeline Dish, to a splitter which is really small and just put outs four coax back out.

Ugh just seems like such a headache, im tech savy and I know how to crimp and make my own coax cables, it just seem like such a hassle, in terms of expenses, coax cable isnt that cheap when you need $300 plus a new drill.

So here a couple more questions. Ive heard that if you pass the one year mark of having the service they can off you a discounted receiver? or get some fee waived.

Also I know by working at best buy i get a one time discount of $20 though an Employee accommodation for DirecTV, now my question is, does anyone else work at best Buy? and do they know if we get a discount on the receivers? I always forget to check, or try to get out of that hell hole as fast as i can when my shifts over haha

5. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    It's actually the fact that he already has an HD DVR on the account so he is charged it. There are some promotions such as the website $100 off ones where it gets waived as well but if someone is adding a second type of the same receiver now there is an installation charge of $49.

6. homerofwar

homerofwar New Member

Jan 2, 2009
    So wait, If I Add a HD-Receiver, what should I be charged then? I dont have a normal HD reciver in my house, just the HD-DVR and 2 Standards

7. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    New room or replacing a receiver?

Since you already have HD on the account a new room will cost too. I worded my last post to fit this situation not to give the whole spectrum.

8. homerofwar

homerofwar New Member

Jan 2, 2009
    oh ok, yeah its a new room unfortunately, Im really regretting not just adding 4 receivers form the beginning

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    While DirecTV generally offers free installation, especially if you are upgrading from SD to HD, there is always the chance of a cost for it. The installations usually run around $49 or $99. As for being charged an installation fee because it is an additional receiver, that is not necessarily true. It all just depends on your payment history and recent upgrades or installs.

- Merg

10. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    What you called a splitter is actually the ground block.

To add another HD DVR, those four lines will need to be connected to the WB68 multiswitch so you can get the extra outputs. If you replace one of the standard receivers with the HD DVR you'll still need five outputs.

How are the existing cables run from the ground block? Hopefully, to a common location where the WB68 would be added. And then distributed to the receivers.

I would have DirecTV do the installation as the multiswitch would be included in the price.

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Several factors you have mentioned suggest you would be better off having DirecTV do the install.

First, avoid crimped coax connectors. You should only use compression fittings.
    Second, the coax lengths indicate you will absolutely need solid copper center conductor coax, you can't just use "any old coax" for the new runs.
    Third, you already have four tuners connected to your dish (which can support 4 tuners). In order to grow, you need to add a WB68 multiswitch (as jdspencer noted), so some changes to your existing wiring are already indicated in addition to anything new you do.

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Or he could just join the Protection Plan and have the new HR installed without charge. I've never paid a cent for an installation.

Rich

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The Protection Plan would not get him a new installation without a charge. It would keep him from paying for any sevice calls/repairs if something were to go wrong with his new installation though. The fact that you never paid for an installation is not related to the fact that you have the PP. It's just what DirecTV decided to offer you due to your account history, etc.

- Merg

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    One has nothing to do with the other.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I gather that, as usual, you've read the documentation, but the fact still stands that I've never paid a cent for an installation for the eight years I've belonged to the PP. Read my post, I didn't say that the PP guaranteed not paying for installations, I said I've never paid a cent for one and I've had quite a few. They are always willing to give you what you need to keep you happy. Don't mean to sound snippy, just in a bad mood today. [There normally would be a Smilie here, but...a bad mood precludes that.]

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You ever pay for an installation?

17. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I can tell you this. I've had people try and get additional receivers installed on service calls (with and without the protection plan). I don't do it. There are reasons as to why.

1) With the Siebel system, a tech can not add additional receivers on a service call work order. We have to cancel the service call and open an upgrade workorder. Depending on workload, you may get rescheduled even though I'm standing there. Try and work the system and theirs a good chance your going to be disappointed

2) Before siebel, we had a little more leeway. However, my pay is different for service calls vs upgrades depending on what needs to be done. Service calls pay the least. You try and work the system and screw me over on pay, well, thats just not going to happen. You can take that to the bank.

I don't care if your paying for the upgrade or not, thats not my concern. It's when you try and work the system, which in turn screws me out of money, throws off my schedule and impacts other customers, then it's now my concern. I will walk from your job, I have walked from the job.

18. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    No because I haven't ordered a piece of equipment since they started charging for installations.

Protection plan does not cover the cost of an installation. Just because you have never paid for an installation and you have protection plan doesn't mean PP covers them.

I have directv access on my account so does that mean subscribing to the magazine covers installations since I haven't paid for one?

19. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Doesn't the PP have a cost? So, therefore whatever you have done isn't really free, is it?

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Unfortunately, "free" doesn't mean "without encumbrance" anymore. Haven't you noticed the many "free" offers in advertising that aren't free, you have to buy something first? Should be "without extra charges", but the language evolves as we use it, not as the dictionary spells it out for us. Today, I was in my library and I saw a sign the said "Rent two DVDs and get a third rental FREE!" In a library.

Yes it costs $5.99 a month and is worth every cent.

Rich