1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very troubling recording/playback issue on HR23-700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gusbuf, Aug 24, 2012.

1. gusbuf

gusbuf DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 20, 2006
    I have recently started to experience a problem with recordings and playback on my HR23-700 that is very troubling. A recorded program will show up on my playlist. I will select PLAY and for about 10 seconds, the screen will go totally black, but the progress bar will show up at the bottom. But then, it just skips right to the end of the recording and asks if I want to delete the recording now. No matter what I do for that particular recording, it does the same thing. We have lost three recordings because of this so far, and I fear what will happen once the Fall season starts and shows that I think are recording end up like this every time. I have no idea what is going on. If anyone has any idea, please let me know. Thanks!

2. caseyf5

caseyf5 Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Bethpage,...
    Hello gusbuf,

Just a guess but I suspect that the hard drive might be going bad. You can test the hard drive by rebooting the HR23-700 and when it says "Running Receiver self-check..." press the Select button to bring up the tests. One section will test the internal hard drive. If it fails some of the tests then you could try to have the DVR attempt to fix the problems (the time necessary to fix the problems found could be hours or less). If you choose you could install an external hard drive up 2 Tb in size. Popular are the Western Digital drives (green 5400 rpm) like the WD20E(3 additional letters 20 = 2 TB, WD15 -1.5 TB, etc). You would also need an eSATA housing such as the Antec MX-1 (http://www.antec.com/productPSU.php?id=47&pid=20) or Thermaltake BlacX (http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Products.aspx?C=1346) units which must have an external SATA output. Both units come with all necessary cables and external power supply. The downside to using an external hard drive is you can not access the internal hard drive at the same time. To use the external hard drive you must power it up completely before rebooting the DVR (usually works but if not then power down the DVR and then turn it back on again after 15 seconds or longer to give the internal hard drive time to stop).

3. otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    Don't panic chances are you're just suffering a signal related problem on tuner 2 of that unit. Run a system test on the receiver. If you get any code(s) 40-45 you can
    A; check your cabling from dish to multiswitch and switch to receiver for damage or lose connections.
    B; Tune up dish to increase sig str. (note voids any service guarantee that may or may not be present on your account for installation of system)
    C; if you can't find a problem or don't want to do that kind of work. call D* and set up a service tech.
    Codes in the teens and 20's are generally critical hardware failures call D* for additional troubleshooting (if needed replacement of unit high probability)