1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vet staduim in phildelphia Rip

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by pez2002, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Mar 3, 2004 #1 of 11
    pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002
    Its going down On March 21st :(

I worked there for 2 yrs

2. Mar 4, 2004 #2 of 11
    dummyproof

dummyproof Godfather

Jan 30, 2004
    Somebody better give Dubya a heads up... no doubt he would blame it on the "evil doer's" if not told ahead of time.

3. sikma

sikma Godfather

Dec 11, 2003
    From what spotswriters/casters in MN have been saying for 20 years, you may not be able to see a difference between a pile of Vets. rubble and the Vet. still standing (only a joke :D ). I never had the pleasure in seeing it for myself.

4. pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002
    6 days until its history RIP

5. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I won't miss Veterans Stadium and neither will many athletes. That old turf had to be one of the worst playing surfaces ever in football and baseball history.

6. sikma

sikma Godfather

Dec 11, 2003
    I'm sure when they start digging through the rubble they'll find some old decayed ACL and MCL's :D

7. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Hundreds of surgeons will bow their heads in tribute to the awful turf that gave them so MUCH work from rich customers...........

Jeez, now my beloved Giants will have the WORST surface in football now. (Anyone remember when a preseason football game at the Vet was called due to the poor condition of the astroturf?) POSTPONED DUE TO TURF Actually showed up in some boxscores that weekend.....

8. George_T

George_T Legend

Sep 19, 2002
    Your beloved Giants used to have the worse field in pro football. Last year, however, the Meadowlands installed FieldTurf, a new type of artificial turf, that looks and plays like grass. It's actually a very good field now, esp. for an artificial surface. The same type of field was installed a couple of years ago at Seahawks' Stadium in Seattle, and a recent NFL Players Union survey ranked it number 3 of all fields in the NFL, better than 20 of the grass fields. Here's a link if you're interested in learning more about FieldTurf:

FieldTurf site

9. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I stand corrected. Hmm, my local TV station used to deride the "painted mud" of the trays they were using for a while. I missed the story on them replacing it. I guess it is more newsworthy to complain about a bad situation, than to talk about a solution being implemented....

10. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Well, the implosion looked impressive on TV this morning.

It was carried by KYW, WPVI, WCAU, WTXF and Comcast Sports Net. Notably absent was WPSG.

11. dummyproof

dummyproof Godfather

Jan 30, 2004
    Fox News quoted a Senior Bush Administration Advisor as saying "While we don't have conclusive evidence that al-Qaida was responsible, I'm sure we'll be able to come up with something eventually." He went on to say "It is true that the President kept referring to it as the 'explosion in Philadelphia', but we were finally able to convince him that 'implosion' was a real word when we brought in the First Lady to back us up. Once again... the illustrated dictionary she brought with her proved to be a real time saver."