1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Veterans Discount???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dod1450, Jun 12, 2014.

1. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    There are so many organization that are giving veterans discounts IE ; Home Depot 10% and Verizon 15%.
    Why is Directv NOT giving veterans a discount?
    Just asking?
    Sorry for the error in Veterans. Dang sticky keyboard

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Fixed the title for you.

As to the question, no idea. There are many places that do give veteran discounts, and many more that don't. Being a veteran (retired Army), I certainly do appreciate those places that do.

3. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I shop at Home Depot and didn't know anything about a veteran's discount. In fact I've never heard of any vet's discount anywhere. I do get a senior discount at some places.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    VeteransDiscounts.com is a good source of information for Veterans discounts.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Am I right that discounts generally don't apply to draftees, just volunteer? I'm not in that group, but Dad told me once that since he doesn't get a military ID card, he wouldn't qualify for discounts. He was in the Korea DMZ during Vietnam.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Anyone who served honorably in the Armed Forces is a veteran. A Military ID card, Department of Veterans Affairs ID card, or DD Form 214 can be used to identify one's veteran status.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Odd. I know he's never been to a VA hospital, but not sure why he said that, since his discharge was honorable. Maybe he just didn't want to do paperwork :)

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Home Depot's policy on Veteran's (Lowe's very similar):

So not every Veteran every day.

9. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    D* does not have any specific "additional" promo for veterans. There is a stipulation that if an active service member gets deployed overseas during the 24 month agreement, he/she is eligible to disconnect without a penalty. If looking for deals beyond the current national promo, there are many. D* has many authorized resellers that throw in extra savings, gift cards, airlines miles, etc. Typically, that kind of promo requires either calling a specific telephone number, or to sign up in person at their location.

Good luck!!

-=K=-

10. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    So pretty much nothing unless you're active, retired, or have service related disability or have no insurance and need to use VA facilities you don't qualify.

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Three days a year you get something, which is better than no days.

I'm retired, so I get the discount with each purchase.

12. FussyBob

FussyBob Legend

Jan 11, 2009
    My local Lowes gives the 10% discount "every" day, Home Depot only certain holidays. Thus most vetrans around here only shop at Lowes.

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    That is great that your local Lowe's does that. Our doesn't and it isn't Lowe's policy to do that.

http://www.lowes.com/cd_In-Store+Services+_745829091_