1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Viable option for an external HDD for a Genie?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Das22m3, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Das22m3

Das22m3 New Member

Feb 5, 2014
  2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Just as a general answer, only the power consumption. At the current prices of 32 or 64 Gb sticks, combined with the 16 Gb, GG will store more than you can carry around and watch!

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    you would want an external drive that has been proven to work and specially one that is actively cooled

4. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    1 person likes this.
  5. Das22m3

Das22m3 New Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Bill, those at most are 1TB. It already has 1TB. The goal would be to add a larger HDD......

6. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    of course that thread linked is 142 pages long. you need to look through what has worked for others

7. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I am using a 4tb red drive from wd that is working perfect.

8. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    When that thread was started, in 2009, 1TB drives were pretty much as big as they got. Now 4 1/2 years and 2,800 posts later, there are many many recommendations for 2TB drives and enclosures for HR2x's as well as recommendations for far bigger drives for Genies. When I was used that thread to decide on a 2TB drive to go with, I ended up deciding on the Western Digital WD20EURS and a Thermaltake Max 5G Active Cooling Hard Drive Enclosure for one of my HR24's and I went with the 3TB Western Digital WD30EURS, with the same enclosure for my Genie. The Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U External Hard Drive SATA Enclosure Docking Station is also a very popular option. I went with the Max 5G because I prefer the idea of an enclosure over a docking station.

Either way, if you go for a 2TB drive, you would be looking at a solution that has been proven to work that costs at least $50 less than the unproven option that you linked to in the OP.

Edited to change link to point to esata enclosure.

9. Das22m3

Das22m3 New Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Bill, when I looked at the link I was on my mobile and didn't notice the amount of posts. My apologies on not looking closely. Thanks for the info.
    DS.

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I like the 5G enclosure you linked. Does is have to sit upright or can you lay it flat?

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    AM I missing something on that enclosure because I am not seeing an e-SATA port on it.

12. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
  14. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I'm using them vertically. But I don't see why it couldn't lay flat. The fans are only on one side and the exhaust comes out of the bottom (when setup vertically). If you put it on it's side, the fan would be on top and the exhaust would come of of the side.

BTW - On the Amazon page for this enclosure, it says that there is a 2TB limit. However, on Thermaltake's site, they say that the limit is 3TB. I am currently using this enclosure with both a 2TB and 3TB drive (for HR24 and HR44 respectively) with no issues.

I apologize for the incorrect link earlier. I didn't even realize that there was a USB-only version of this enclosure. I've modified my original post to link to the correct enclosure.

1 person likes this.
  15. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Does that TT 5G Active cooling enclosure come with all necessary hardware for putting either a 2 or 3 gig red wd drive into it? Are there any instructions on assembly, or is it really obviousj?

I've always used the TT docks, but I just had a terrible experience with a brand new TT dock and the 3 gig avp drive. I spent four hours trying to make them work together and couldn't even get a computer to recognize the combo, much less my HR44-700.

I tried:

3 different eSATA cables
    Two different computers, one with eSATA and one with USB

Neither of the computers would recognize the drive/dock connected USB, and the one compute with an eSATA port wouldn't acknowledge it had been plugged in, nor could it find it.

I must have restarted the 44 from a power down at least 10 times (HR44) and I always got the internal drive playlist. (Of course, I plugged in and powered up/spun up the new drive/dock first)

I don't know what went wrong, but I've got both the TT Dock and the 3 Gig AVP WD drive boxed up to go back to Amazon on Monday.

It's really too bad, as I have the original TT BlacX and a 2 gig avp that is 4 years old and still running strong.

So, ...time to try something else, so I'm thinking of what you recommended: full enclosure and the 2 or 3 gig red drive.

Comments? I want to order prime today, so I can stay ahead of my recordings.

16. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    It comes with a hex screwdriver, which is all that you need. I don't remember if there were instructions or not. But assembly was really easy.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would stick with one thread where you posted your question first; cross-posting on one site is not up to e-etiquette to ask same question ...