1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Drop Outs on some HD channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wbarrett56, Oct 4, 2010.

1. wbarrett56

wbarrett56 Cool Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Sunday afternoon I watched the movie "The Education of Charlie Banks" on Showtime Next and every 20 seconds or so the video would flash black and flick back on. No audio problems and I did not see the problem on Fox News HD when I flipped back and forth.

Sunday night I turned on WGN HD to watch the 9 PM news and saw same thing. Interestingly enough I went to my second HD reciever and saw same symptom... video flashes to black every 20 seconds or so.

I checked Discovery HD and History HD and they were rock solid.

Any thoughts on this probelm I saw? Encoding errors?

===
    Bill

2. Big Dawg 23

Big Dawg 23 AllStar

Oct 14, 2008

I have it on all the movie channels and many other non movie HD Channels. From what research I did it is a Directv Issue.

3. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Got Showtime free for 3 months, been trying to watch a few things, and noticed the video dropout as you describe. Only seems to happen on Showtime for me. I just quit watching, even free can't entice me to watch 20 second cycling blackouts.

4. RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    Knock on wood, but I haven't noticed any of the dropouts you describe, although I'm not watching those same channels. Dropouts are a symptom of HDMI problems and it might be your receiver/display connection that is giving you these. If you can, connect the component output from your receiver to your display and see if the dropouts occur. You didn't mention how you connected the second receiver that showed the same problems, but was it over the same HDMI connection or were you using HDMI? Encoding problems nor signal dropouts usually don't show up as black frames, but HDMI problems do. Something for you to check out.

5. camattin

camattin AllStar

Feb 6, 2003
    I too was having very random HDMI dropouts on our upstairs TV. It would happen anywhere -- whether watching a channel or even while I was in the guide.

I switched the HDMI connection to another one on the TV and *knock on wood* I haven't had another dropout since.

6. JayB

JayB Legend

Mar 19, 2007
    This happens to me on Encore. I know it's not the TV or the HDMI connection since I see it on 2 different TVs and it's recorded into the buffer - I can actually frame advance through a single frame of black. Drove me nuts the other night when I was trying to watch Groundhog Day. A call to D* only got me the answer that they'd "have a technician look into it".

7. Sea bass

Sea bass Icon

Jun 9, 2005
    I'm experiencing the Video drops on some movie channels..Very quick, blink of the eye speed. Any info? Looks like a long, ongoing problem.

HR24-500