1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video quality loss?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by bryan92, Dec 31, 2003.

1. bryan92

bryan92 Legend

Oct 30, 2003
    If I run all the video through the A/V receiver will it hinder the quality of the picture very much? The receiver is a Denon 1802. The reason I ask is I am unable to add another optical port or change settings without seeing the menu on the tv screen. I have all video running out of each component straight to the tv and of course all the audio going into the receiver.

2. Jan 1, 2004 #2 of 11
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Denon receivers are pretty good hardware. You probably won't lose any quality. Depending on your setup, you might even gain some by eliminating long cable runs to the TV.

The advantage of being able to switch sources just by changing the receiver and not the TV inputs also makes switching a plus.

3. Jan 1, 2004 #3 of 11
    Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    "Denon receivers are pretty good hardware. You probably won't lose any quality. Depending on your setup, you might even gain some by eliminating long cable runs to the TV."

But won't the long runs still run into the receiver then to the TV? I've always been a fan of keeping things as short and direct as possible but I'm an audiophile not a videophile.

"The advantage of being able to switch sources just by changing the receiver and not the TV inputs also makes switching a plus."

Does this change what's on the TV (pic) as well?

4. Jan 1, 2004 #4 of 11
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    If everything runs through the receiver (audio and video) the receiver outputs to the television. So, everytime you change sources on the receiver, what you see on the television also changes. It's a great way to go, especially as systems become more complicated and you have more sources than you have inputs on the television. I have an HK AVR7200 (I think this is new since you last hung out here, Roger) with all my sources running through it and am very pleased.

5. Jan 1, 2004 #5 of 11
    Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    Rking: Did you ever get them small, sweet looking speakers? If so, post a link again.

6. Jan 1, 2004 #6 of 11
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Nah, I am not convinced that there are any good small speakers. I still have my JBL 4430 studio monitors in the front and Monitor Audio Studio 6's in the rear. The JBL's are 2 ways with a 15" and a bi-radial horn mounted high frequency compression driver. I don't even need a sub with the JBL's. The Monitor Audio's are great sounding speakers and would make a great front pair for almost any home theater or serious music listening, although they were rather expensive and now discontinued. I got them at the CES Show several years ago and got a deal on them as part of an opening order for my dealership before moving from Minnesnowta to Florida. http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/

7. Jan 1, 2004 #7 of 11
    Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
  8. Jan 2, 2004 #8 of 11
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    If I recall correctly I heard your speakers at that same CES show and, while I liked the sound, I thought they came in a close second to the Monitor Audio Studio 6's that I ended up with. The funny thing about the MAS6 is that it is a fairly small speaker, but had a great sound. Very realistic. It was the first speaker I checked out that day of the probably more than 100 brands. I told myself that they couldn't have sounded as good as they did and had to come back the next day to listen again. Sure enough, they did sound that good so I ordered a pair (piano rosewood finish) along with several other MA models to start my dealership with them.

I was always a fan of seperate components until rather large integrated units became available and reasonable. I had an AMC seperates system before the HK receiver and frankly the convenience of the HK receiver has won me over.

You can check out my stuff here: http://www.pbase.com/rking401/my_home_theatre To give you some sense of scale, the Toshiba television is an old 35" model (one of the first 35" ones they made), to be replaced eventually by a front projector. These pix were taken before a few upgrades, such as the HK and a Dish 508 in place of the DVHS Dish unit. the DishPlayer is long ago sold and installed for a customer. Of course, the Denon tuner is no longer there, nor are the two 4 channel power amps and the surround processor. The VHS deck has died and gone away also. The DBX units, while still in the rack are unused because I don't have a pre volume control insert point in the HK to use them. The ReVox reel to reel has died and been replaced by a Teac 3300 (yea, a step down but try to find a 1/4 track 10 1/2" capable reel to reel today). I could fix the ReVox I guess but don't need to because I have replaced it. I now have some blank space in my rack that needs to be filled.

9. Jan 2, 2004 #9 of 11
    Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    May I pick on your set-up?

10. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    I will anyway since I may not be around for a few days.

Left Speaker: Way too close to the back wall and right near an opening into another area which is nightmare number 1 for the left speaker.

Right Speaker: Way too close to the back wall and way, way, way too close to the wall on the right which is nightmare number 2 for the right speaker.

Center Speaker: There's crap leaning against it.

Turntable: On top of a speaker? Crank it up and your needle will be scratching your LPs not to mention skipping.

Components: Ugh! You have them stacked and too close together and lack proper ventilation. Your AMC amplifiers have no room to breath which will make your parts too hot and possibly shorten the life of your components.

TV: It's not centered and I assume your chair isn't as well and your speakers are facing straight ahead and aren't "toed in" which means you have no "sweet spot."

Wiring: It's too long and too thin I think. What the heck are those loops behind the left speaker? I hope that's not excess speaker wire? Also your speakers are too far apart.

Bottom line: You can get much better results from your equipment than you're currently getting.

11. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I can't afford to rebuild my house around the system. It's the lay of the room that determined this.

Not anymore, but there is some crap on top of it.

I can get a "reasonable" volume out of it before feedback due to the density of the speaker cabinets and the turntable base (granite). The turntable has actually been taken out of the system and now is running through a Rane Pre-amp and into my computer for burning cd's.

Solved by all the new open space I have since making the changes mentioned above.

I don't want to put the tv in the fireplace. I would have to change my avatar if I did. This will be solved if I ever get my projector. The screen will be centered on the wall. The Toshiba will go away allowing the right speaker to move away from the walls and center the sound around the screen. I can't "toad":D the right speaker in because it isn't shielded and would effect the television screen. I am just on the brink as is.

The wire you see on the left goes to a ceiling fan. The speaker wire is actually too short in that it runs across the front of the fireplace. Eventually it will be in the wall. The speaker wire is 16 guage multistrand twisted pair, the same sort of stuff I used to use when I designed recording studios, etc. as a career.
    Agree, but not with the physical layout of the room.