1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Viewing a show on multiple TVs simultaneously

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by mikemyers, Jun 9, 2010.

1. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    I have an HR24 in living room, H24 in bedroom, and R16 in kitchen. Sometimes when I'm working around the house, I might leave the same program playing on all three boxes, so it's always "there" if I want to stop work and watch for a bit.

I've also got three HDTVs, large on in the living room, medium in bedroom, and small in kitchen.

The picture on my small Toshiba in the kitchen isn't bad, but of course it's shown in SD, not HD. DirecTV tells me I can get an upgrade for the R16 within the next year (or get one for full price now). Once that happens, I can do what I'm asking about, but for now, the show is being displayed in SD.

Here's my question. The HR24 in the living room has the HDMI cable going to the large TV. Can I take the "component video" output and run a cable to the kitchen, so the same show will be seen simultaneously on that set? Or, does the HR send the video out to EITHER the HDMI or to the component out, but not both simultaneously?

2. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    You CAN do this. All outputs are active.

3. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    Thanks, Mike! In that case, I was told that if I didn't want to run a 20 foot long cable (3 for component, plus 2 for audio) that I can buy adapters that go from "component" to Cat5, and back again to component. That makes the cable much less of a mess. If this is correct, does anyone know what these adapters might be, and where to get one?

4. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    It would be easier/cheaper to use the component cable on the large living room tv, and run a single hdmi cable to the kitchen tv. You can find good/cheap hdmi cables at monoprice.com (20' hdmi cable for $20). The only catch is you would not be able to watch 1080p ppv movies on the HR24 over the component cable. If you do watch 1080p ppv, you could just keep an extra hdmi cable near the big tv and swap cables before/after the movie.

:)

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I've heard of them... I'd try the usual suspects like monoprice.com.

6. mikemyers

mikemyers Legend

May 19, 2010
    That's a much better idea than what I was thinking - thanks!!

7. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I looked at monoprice and found this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10105&cs_id=1010504&p_id=4065&seq=1&format=2

which can take the HDMI and turn it into CAT5 and then back. So you could then run component to the large tv and use the HDMI for the kitchen.

Or you could use this:

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/component-cat5-balun.html

and stick with your original idea but it seems a but pricier than the monoprice dongle for HDMI.

8. wavemaster

wavemaster Godfather

Sep 15, 2007
    We have had a lot of luck with Gefen over the years. Their stuff is pricey, but the quality is there and their support is fantastic.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproductlisting.jsp?listingCategory=Extenders&productType=component

We have a 4x4 HDMI switch that is a few years old - I inquired about 1080P support on the switch and was told it would not do it as it was purchased, but they had a firmware upgrade for it. They sent a chip, I installed it and bam, 1080P. This was done two years AFTER purchase and at no cost. I thought that was pretty cool.

9. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Legend

Apr 8, 2006