1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

ViP 622 issue

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Crotulus, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Crotulus

Crotulus New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Hello,

I've got a 7.5 year old ViP 622 that has recently begun to make a ticking sound. The tick is random and not constant. Is this a sign of impending failure? I'm not having any other trouble with it although this post may jinx all that :nono2: .

Thanks

2. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Live with it until it does something else as long as no problems are showing up it will probably continue to work. I would get an external hard drive if you don't have one and transfer any important programming. Your 622 is getting older and at some point is going to fail. Now is the time to investigate your options replace under the Protection Plan with a refurbished 622/722 or upgrade to a Hopper and learn a new operating system that is still being debugged.

3. BeckiB@Dish Network

BeckiB@Dish Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    I am more than happy to help! Is the receiver in an enclosed place?

4. Crotulus

Crotulus New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Like I said, other than the ticking it does appear to be running just fine. I was more curious about what that ticking might be.. I had an external hard drive hooked up for a while. It failed after about a year so I already lost most everything we might have really wanted to keep. I'll most likely move to a Hopper once this unit dies. The Hopper with one Joey will run me a few bucks more than the 622 and a 211 though.

The receiver sits inside on the top shelf of a wood audio cabinet with glass doors. It has about 4 inches of space on either side and 6 inches above. There are also holes drilled out in the rear panel of the cabinet to allow airflow. The glass doors are generally left a bit open. I'm sure this unit would have had issues a long time ago if heat was to blame. I won't be in any big rush if and when this unit goes. I have a 211 in the other room that will hold us over until a decision is made to upgrade or move on. It would be a bit of a bummer to lose a few recordings but in the end it's just tv, nothing that important.

5. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    the ticking is probably the heads of the hard drive parking and re-reading a sector - probably notice of impending failure - copy anything you want to save to an EHD and prepare for failure.

These receiver need to be out in the open air - they run hot anyway and being in any kind of enclosure makes them run hotter and shortens the receivers lifetime. - move it outside the audio cabinet.

6. Crotulus

Crotulus New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    We'll see how long it lasts. It has been in the cabinet for over 7 years now. Looking at this forum alone I see that is a long time for one of these units to last. I'm sure they are designed knowing that they won't be left out in the open. Besides the top of the cabinet it occupied by a turntable. There is no place else for it to go.

7. Crotulus

Crotulus New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Well it finally happened. Came home, turned the unit on, and was greeted with a "failed hard drive" message. Now to decide whether to replace with another 622, upgrade to a hopper, or give Direct a go. I'm leaning more toward moving to a hopper. Replacing a 622 and 211 with a hopper and one Joey will increase my bill $6 or $7, correct?

Thanks.

8. 300mag

300mag New Member

Aug 23, 2014
    May want to consider super joey in place of joey and gain 2 additional tuners.

9. Crotulus

Crotulus New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    I gave Dish a call this morning. They will be shipping out another 622 to me. Between the extra monthly fee and the wasting a day waiting for a tech the Hopper/Joey did not seem worth it. I don't have the protection plan so it cost me $15 for a return shipping label.