1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

ViP 622 rebooting

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by dclaypool, Sep 23, 2012.

1. dclaypool

dclaypool Cool Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Receiver has taken to rebooting 3-5 times a day. Software at L711RBDB-N. Just gave it some more air to make sure it's not thermal. But what's the verdict? Should I call for an exchange?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    post the temp reading from Counters

3. dclaypool

dclaypool Cool Member

Jul 10, 2005
    High 138F
    Low 100F (down from 120F earlier today)
    Average 125F (unchanged)

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    For start I would try open a cover, direct a fan to inside and see if it will help; then decide if it the overeating or not.

5. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Sounds like what early adoptors of the 622 called "the black screen of death". That, I believe, was attributed to a capaitor which could overheat. I believe Dish tried a software fix that helped some but didn't completely fix the problem. I had my first 622 replaced a few months after install because it was happening many times a day. The replacement still did it a couple times a year but I could live with that.

A word of caution: my other, and 2 year newer, 622 never exhibited this problem until a couple weeks before it failed completely in August. I could not even get it power up. If you have recordings on that DVR you want to keep, transfer them to an EHD now.