1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

VIP 722 disconnected from satellite dish

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by dpantle, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Oct 6, 2010 #1 of 16
    dpantle

dpantle New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    I wasn't sure how to search for the answer to the following:

I'm switching from Dish to Direct, and will not have my 722 connected to the dish for the last 2 weeks. My question is this, how long will I be able to watch already recorded content once I disconnect the receiver from the dish?

It's not connected to a phone line either.

2. Oct 7, 2010 #2 of 16
    Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    You can view pre-recorded events indefinitely.

3. Oct 7, 2010 #3 of 16
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I am having my roof re-shingled today and they have disconnected my two coaxes from the dish. (E* is coming tomorrow to re-install the dish.) I have a 622 and a 722k connected to a 1000.4 EA rooftop dish.

What I am seeing on the 622 is a Normal Guide and access to all previously recorded events.

What I am seeing on the 722k is all previously recorded events have had their titles replaced with "Locked Event." If I select any given event it requires me to enter my password. It then displays the info and gives me the option to play or resume as applicable. When I select "Play" it requires I again enter my password.

The 722k will not allow me to view the Guide - I get the Acquiring Sat splash screen. It will not allow me to enter directly the OTA channels... i.e. 0041.

The 622 also will not allow allow us to view the Guide, however it will allow normal display and usage of previously recorded titles.

I cannot access OTA on either receiver! Bummer.

4. Oct 7, 2010 #4 of 16
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't believe this is true. IF the receiver cannot see the satellites for a period of time, I believe the receiver will cease some access to content, even pre-recorded stuff.

I don't know what that limit is, but I'm pretty sure that eventually these newer receivers shut themselves off from working if you don't keep them on an active account.

5. Oct 8, 2010 #5 of 16
    Tulsa1

Tulsa1 Godfather

Oct 15, 2003
    My dish was disconnected for a couple weeks while I had new siding installed
    on my house. I could not access anything after the first reboot on a 622 and a 722.

Correction: my bad......I could not access recorded stuff on EHD....sorry
    The rest of you are correct

6. Oct 8, 2010 #6 of 16
    CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    What receiver have you actually observed it happening on? By "newer receivers", do you mean 722k and up? A 622 isn't really new, but its recorded content is available 6 months after being deactivated from an account. It is connected to a dish, but not powered on, most of the time.

If not connected to a dish with a valid signal (at least for a moment) after a reboot, they won't let you select OTA channels. After a time, the receiver will time out its subscription info if it wasn't powered on and connected when removed from an account. I *think* that time could expire soon or persist for a month (as if the receiver subscription had an expiration date?). Once it expires (immediately if connected when deactivated), OTA viewing is gone. But I've never seen anybody post that they can't access recorded material because their receiver was disconnected.

Well, now I've seen Tulsa1!

7. Oct 8, 2010 #7 of 16
    CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Do you mean you only got a display of of Acquiring Sat? When not connected to a dish with a valid signal, you may have to hit the Menu button to do anything at all - and then hit the DVR button.

8. Oct 8, 2010 #8 of 16
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Se my Post #3 above re my 722k.

9. Oct 8, 2010 #9 of 16
    CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    When I read #3, it sounded like you could access recorded material - just had to jump through hoops. Recorded material on an external drive would NOT be available AFAIK - it disappeared as a choice on my 622 immediately with live programming. Internal recordings should remain available indefinitely as Jim5506 said. I doubt it matters, but might, so I'll mention I don't lock my receiver with a password.

10. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    All recordings are titled "Locked Event". Makes selecting a show to watch nearly impossible. :)

I have my receiver locked only to prevent accidentally ordering a PPV.

I'm thoroughly confused as to why the OTA tuner does not work. :confused:

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I've never experienced any of this myself... just going on what others have posted in the past and a handful of things I thought I "knew"... so I could be mistaken.

I said "newer" even though I know the 622 is old by now.. mainly because I thought some older Dish receivers like the 921/501/510/etc didn't die after deactivation.

One point of distinction here too is deactivating a receiver vs disconnecting from satellites.

Deactivating a receiver does render any EHD content unwatchable pretty much immediately I believe... but the content on the DVR itself may still be viewable as long as the receiver remains connected to a dish pointing at Dish satellites.

But I thought I had read before that if you disconnect the receiver completely from satellites, that eventually (maybe takes more than a month) it would stop working for anything at all.

12. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Probably too late to try now, but UNLOCKING the receiver might have helped. :D

13. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    I've read that it would happen, but not that it did happen. I truly only know of my own results, and they are always subject to change from firmware updates (which can happen if unsubscribed, but still connected). A 622 is the "newest" of my assorted receivers that aren't active / connected, but it behaves like the previous ones.

I know a receiver becomes "unsubscribed" if not connected to a sat for a long period. Other things stop working quickly w/o a dish signal, but it *SEEMS* that recorded stuff remains viewable. I don't think dpantle's 2 weeks will be enough of a test to say one way or the other though.

14. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I just got off the phone with Dish - my Tech is so far a no-show to reinstall my dish.

He wanted to send a "parental" hit which serves to reset the password. I pointed out the dish is not connected. If after the dish is reconnected I still have the problem, I'll call Dish and they'll clear out my password.

15. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Tech showed up and re-installed dish on roof. After acquiring signal, all returned to normal and the proper titles appeared.

16. dpantle

dpantle New Member

Oct 6, 2010
    OK, well I have disconnected the DVR from the back, and when I power on, there is notification of loosing all communications with the dish, and steps to take. It also says that I still have access to recorded material. I'll leave it like this for a while. I still have Dish service for the month, so if the content becomes unavailable, I'll just reconnect, and call Dish.