1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

vip 722 HDMI and resolution output

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Dobe, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Dobe

Dobe Mentor

Mar 5, 2007
    I'm finally upgrading to an av receiver with HDMI inputs. I've used the HDMI out on the vip 722 to my display for picture with no problems.

1.) Will the 722's HDMI port output a 5.1 audio signal to my new receiver?

Also, I know -- unfortunately -- that the 722 doesn't have native resolution output. However, I thought you could go into the menu and decide whether to have it output at 720p or 1080i. I've looked through all the menu options and can't find that option.

2.) Is there such an option? If not, what resolution is output when the signal received is 720p and what's output when the signal is 1080i?

3.) Finally, do any of the new DISH DVR's have native resolution output?

Thank you for your help. :)

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    It discussed so many times ... it should, No/what you set in menu, NO.

3. jporum

jporum Cool Member

Nov 11, 2008
    #1 - Yes.

#2 - Menu, 6, 8 (HDTV Setup) lets you pick TV Type (480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i). If you are planning on recording OTA signals, also make sure Analog Type is set to Offair. You can also set the aspect ratio here, probably want 16x9.

#3 - Don't know.

4. Dobe

Dobe Mentor

Mar 5, 2007
    Thanks. Great info. This site gives you suggested threads when you ask a question. I couldn't find the answers so thanks for your patience.

5. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    #3 - No

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    FYI... for what it is worth...

A couple of times I have seen 5.1 EX (6.1). Most notably was when Rush Hour 3 was playing on HBO... it actually came through with the extra channel... Very rare, but worth mentioning just as a fun fact since the OP's original questions have been answered.

7. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Yes I have too. I saw an answer somewhere that said never, that is wrong.