1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIP-DVR 612 screen saver

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by robotec, Apr 2, 2009.

1. robotec

robotec Cool Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Does anyone know of an option for disabling the message screen saver when this unit is supposedly powered off? It staying on is causing problems with my Terk 3/1 switch not recognizing it as being powered down. Now I have to manually switch it over if I want to watch a DVD movie or play my xbox360.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Menu, Preferences, Inactivity > change time or turn off.

3. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    What I would like is if I could STOP the 612 from going back to one of it's tuners when I'm done watching a recorded show. On my Dishplayer, when the recording ran out or I stopped it, I would be in a "Playback Stopped" or "Playback Ended" screen and it would stay there. I could surf through listings or recorded entries at my leisure.

Now, after some pre-set amount of time, the 612 goes back to feeding one of the tuners out to the screen. I wish I could KEEP things QUIET until I actually TELL IT to do something, like go to a channel or start a new recording.

4. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Godfather

Apr 21, 2008
    That will only prevent the receiver from automatically turning off. That will, in a way, stop the standby screen by keeping it displaying live TV, but I don't think that's what the OP is asking.

It sounds like the OP has an automatic video switch that senses the presence of a video signal, and will automatically select an active input. If that's the case, disabling the inactivity timer will do nothing, as there will still be an active video signal (the live TV.) I don't think that there is anyway to totally disable the output so that there is no signal being sent. It always trys to output something.

How does your video switch handle simultaneously active inputs? Is there a priority scheme? Can the Dish receiver be moved to a lower priority input, so that turning on a higher priority device overrides it and selects that input instead of the satellite receiver?

5. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    AFAIK, there is no way to make a current Dish receiver really go "off" and not send a video signal. Even when off, it's really in StandBy and sends a signal.

6. robotec

robotec Cool Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Looks like I'm now in the market for a good switcher with a remote. Preferably one which will be compatible with my Logitech universal remote. Any suggestions? I currently have the Terk 31 4 port switch. Up until now, its been able to handle anything I've thrown at it.

7. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I saw an HDMI auto switcher on eBay last month that switches to the last activated component.

It was not terribly expensive - $69 or something.

I'll see if I can find it and report back.

RESULTS:

I did a search for "Intelligent HDMI auto switch" and checked the include title and description. There are several of these intelligent HDMI auto switches listed, some seek an active signal when the selected one terminates and some switch the last active component. I believe the latter is what you want - $34.99 + shipping.

Not necessarily recommending it, but it sounds good.

Let us know how well it works.

8. ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter Godfather

Apr 21, 2008
    I can see a potential issue with one that switches to the "last active" component. Since the video is always active, the only time it will become active and trigger the switch is when it is first powered on (or when it resets each night.) When another device is turned on, it will switch away from the receiver, but since the receiver never goes inactive and then active again, will it ever switch back?

It seems to me you would need a switch that automatically switches when an input becomes active, and then when it becomes inactive searches for another active input and switches to that. This sounds like a combination of the two modes described above. (Maybe this is the implied operation of the first unit?) This could work if all of the other units can be turned off when the satellite receiver is desired.

Otherwise, a simple priority scheme could work, with the receiver being set at the lowest priority. When a higher priority input becomes active, it switches to that, and when it becomes inactive it looks for the next highest priority active input.

Anything that won't switch as long as the current input is active will probably never work properly, as it will never switch away from the satellite receiver.

9. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    My understanding of the way it is supposed to work, is with the Dish feed always active, when you turn on an alternate component, it switches to that newly active component. When you turn the component back off, it switches back to the Dish receiver. Whether or not that is the actual way it works is another story. It specifically states it is made to work with Dish Network and DirecTV receivers I assume DirecTV receivers always have the HDMI on 24/7/365, too??