1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

ViP Remote Party Trick

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Stewart Vernon, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Ok... so I started seeing the "Remote Battery Low" message on the screen a few weeks ago... not all the time, just if I was pressing several keys in succession for something. So I went out and bought some new batteries (had no AAA in the house).

Before taking out the batteries, I paused my live TV so I wouldn't miss anything while I was fumbling with the remote.

I took out the batteries and disposed of them... and then just on a lark, decided to point it at the TV (no batteries inside) and unpause the TV. Sure enough, it unpaused. Try this with your friends and impress them with the remote that requires no batteries!

Ok.. so I know technically why that worked with no batteries. Just enough residual charge, probably in a capacitor somewhere, to allow one keypress after the batteries were removed. That didn't surprise me. What did surprise me... No low battery message on the screen! With batteries inside, I got the message... without batteries and running on residual charge no message.

Curious.. made me wonder just how accurate that message was after all.

2. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Especially good for the easily entertained!:lol:

3. audiomaster

audiomaster DBSTalk Club Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Did it hold the codes for the other equipment buttons or are you using them? That capacitor is probably to hold the memory while the batteries are out! If you discharg it, the remote might lose the other equipment remotecodes.

4. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Hadn't thought of that possibility... but I don't use my remote to control anything but the Dish receiver. I'm a remote-junkie... I have all my remotes in a row on my coffee table and use the one that came with each device rather than the universal remote route.

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The 'battery low' message is a conspiracy between Charlie and batt mfrs to sell more batteries. :p

6. Packy

Packy Cool Member

Apr 20, 2007
    You should all be using rechargeable batteries anyway. :)

7. Miner

Miner Legend

Oct 29, 2004
    I tried it with my 942's IR remote (that gives the low battery warning) and replicated HDMes results. It only worked 1 time, and after putting the same (low battery) cells in, all my preprogrammed codes were still intact. Of course, I still get the low bat warning. But it is a good trick

Miner

8. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I guess that means the remote codes are stored in some sort of non-volatile memory... nice to know.

I still think the most interesting part of the trick is that you don't get the low battery warning when you take the batteries out... but you get it when you put them back in! :)

9. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Instead of "low battery" warning, you should get "no battery" warning!:lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.