1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIP211 HDMI problem

Discussion in 'ViP211(411)/211K/222 Support Forum' started by qaplus, May 2, 2006.

1. May 2, 2006 #1 of 61
    qaplus

qaplus New Member

May 2, 2006
    I just got VIP211 hooked it up to a AKAI via HDMI last weekend. The HD picture quality is excellent. However I have exactly the same problem as a user reported at AVS forum: Everytime I turn on TV I have to reboot VIP211 to get HDMI connected, which takes ~10 minutes to re-acquire satellite and download program info. :( Does anyone use HDMI with VIP211? Any problem like this? Thanks.

2. May 2, 2006 #2 of 61
    JohnEL

JohnEL Cool Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I have my VIP211 hocked up via HDMI to DVI cable to my 50" Pani. The problem I have is after about 10 to 20 min's of viewing, I hear a "pop" sound, unit freezes. I have to reboot:nono2: Seems that this has been happening since the 265 update, now am on 266 and again this happens last night:whatdidid
    Wish DISH would get it together. Suffered with 811 now this:flaiming

3. May 2, 2006 #3 of 61
    thanwu

thanwu New Member

May 2, 2006
    I did not experience your problem with my new 211(I got it one week ago). My problem is the audio. I could not get the Dolby Digital sound through the HDMI for the HD channels (my toslink connection can give me DD sound). I connect the 211 with my Yamaha reciever through HDMI, then another HDMI connection between the Yamaha reciever and my Philips plasma TV.

4. May 2, 2006 #4 of 61
    gjh3260

gjh3260 Legend

Mar 19, 2006
    I have had my VIP211 for two weeks now. Have it hooked up to my Samsung 61 inch TV via HDMI and have not had any problem with it so far.:)

5. May 2, 2006 #5 of 61
    rustamust

rustamust AllStar

Feb 21, 2006
    Toslink and componet hookup works great. Over 2 weeks now no problems and HD PQ is much better than the 811 and also SD PQ some what better. The only problem for the first month was digital lip sync and one black screen after 2.65 and 2.66 all is fine.
    mike

6. May 3, 2006 #6 of 61
    alfbinet

alfbinet Godfather

May 18, 2002
    I have my 211 hooked up to a Denon 3806 receiver via HDMI 1 in (on the receiver) and HDMI out from my receiver to my Mits 52628 HDMI 1 input (on the TV) Works great.

7. May 4, 2006 #7 of 61
    DishDiggler

DishDiggler Cool Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I have the 211 hooked up via HDMI as well. My 211 does the same thing. I turn the tv on first ( if I dont see the screensaver then I know I have to reboot) then power up the 211. Id say it works right 50% of the time, the other 50% of the time I have to reboot to get it going.

8. May 4, 2006 #8 of 61
    ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    I have the same equipment. I haven't tried the HDMI route yet. I'm doing component for video, optical for digital sound, RCA for analog on zone 2.
    I do run HDMI from the 3806 to the 52628 though.

9. May 8, 2006 #9 of 61
    pinchhitter

pinchhitter Cool Member

Jul 17, 2004
    I have a JVC 56" HD-ILA and vip211 with HDMI hook up.

1. When I change channels the screen goes haywire, picture scrambles, green and purple flashes and the input video label comes on to the screen. Then the picture goes to normal. It is almost as it is trying to tune something every time I change the channel. Not a major problem but annoying. The component connection does not do this, it works fine.
    I did try hooking up an old 811 and it does not have this problem, it works smoothly.

2. Sometimes when changing channels the audio drops out. If I change to a HD channel and the audio goes out, I then turn to a SD channel, the audio comes back on. Same thing when it goes out on an SD channel, i switch to an HD channel and it comes back on.

Finally the HDMI port went out and I was sent a new 211. But the same above problems exist. Any ideas, suggestions or similar problems?

10. Grandpa Train

Grandpa Train AllStar

Mar 19, 2005
    Did the HDMI work with the new VIP211? Mine does not work.

11. pinchhitter

pinchhitter Cool Member

Jul 17, 2004
    It worked but it is still squirrely when changing channels, same problem as with the receiver that I sent back. The 211 must send its signal to the TV differently thant the 811.

12. Geoffe

Geoffe New Member

Jun 26, 2004
    My install was May 6. HDMI to DVI cable to Sammy. first few days, the TV would recognize that DVI was there but could not find signal. After that it will not even recognize HDMI'S existance. Tried all the reboots, etc., but with no success.
    Component PQ is excellent.

13. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    Just a follow up,
    I finally got around to connecting the 211 via HDMI to my Denon 3806 using Optical for audio.
    Works like a champ although I see no diffrence from component.

14. CodeJockey

CodeJockey New Member

Jul 5, 2006
    I have a vip211 and a Hitachi 50VF820. The HDMI interface worked for about 4 weeks (still had audio loss when i turned on the tv) but lost all signal last night.

First call to Dish CS told me my TV was the problem. I worked for three hours replacing cables, resetting the 211 and changing everything on the TV. Called back and then they told me the 211 has a firmware issue (L267). I was so mad with their support.

They told me i had to hook up composite video for it to work again and they are working on a fix.

Can this really be a firware issue? How can it work and then just stop outputing a signal? Sounds like hardware to me too.

I will give them until the end of July or I will have them send me another 211 and try that one.

thanks

15. Wagon Man

Wagon Man New Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Hi ... the following is my message posted on AVS, a member there suggested me to check in here ... sounds like I'm not alone.. I have the 211 since Thursday last week...

(Just checked.. sw is L 2.67)

I'll keep reading all the posts ... but quick answer will be more than grateful ;)

Here it goes:

Guys, every now & then I lost the audio from the SAT -- no sound coming out from it, but if I'd switch to OTA feed then switch back to SAT, then everything is fine.

Anyone experienced the same or know how to fix this symptom for good?

My connection as follow:

SAT (DishNetwork model ViP 211): HDMI => TV (input = Digital 1)
    OTA feed: Antenna => TV (input =TV)
    VCR/DVD, etc..: source => Receiver => TV (V1 Smart, Video 1)

16. texasjoe

texasjoe New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    I have a 211 connected to a Phillps via HDMI and I am having the same problem. I got a new box from Dish and it does the same thing. Their Tech support says " This is a known problem" and they do not know when it will be fixed.

Does the 611 have this same problem?

17. qaplus

qaplus New Member

May 2, 2006
    The recent software update fixed my HDMI problem. Now a happy Dish user :D

18. Jack Colton

Jack Colton New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    I am a little surprised that this forum is not filled with messages, as the 622 forum is, with comments about the Dish Receiver and HDMI connectivity to TV sets.

I have two VIP-211s. The one connected to a 50" Pioneer panel has a problem occasionally that can be solved by rebooting the VIP 211... Either the video or audio will lock up, and then it is dead until reboot.

But on the Philips 50" Plasma TV, every time I turn off the TV... When I turn it back on, there are problems with the VIP 211 Satellite receiver. Usually there is a picture with no audio, but sometime the video is messed up also, and looks like an interlaced picture, the kind that NASA used to show on some of their cameras, where two different cameras showed 15 FPS on a 30 FPS link.

The solution is to unplug the HDMI port cable and Plug it back in. Picture and sound come back on.

There is something wrong somewhere and it makes the HDMI port unusable. :(

19. Wicker 54

Wicker 54 AllStar

May 7, 2006
    It,s the RECIEVER !!!!!!!!! Mine loses the sound too.... Reboot !!!! Then all is fine !!! Good thing is we all pay for this crap each month.....

20. johnputnamjr

johnputnamjr New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    Mine does the same thing until i unplug the hdmi and then plug it back in. now that is convenient digging around behind the tv when you want to watch...dish tells me it is "known" - which makes me ask "then why don't you fix it if you know about it and have known about it for months?". - apparently too busy signing up more folks to take care of those that already have the equipment and pay every month for sub-par performance. still - i am hanging on for the "potential" HD service that we hear other folks are enjoying.