1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

ViP211 Native DC Conversion

Discussion in 'ViP211(411)/211K/222 Support Forum' started by cobyroberts, Jul 22, 2013.

1. cobyroberts

cobyroberts New Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Has anyone modified a ViP211 with a DC-DC power regulator so inverters\generators are not required when camping where shore power is not avalable? amazon.com has may regulators, I have replaced the AC power for the DPP44 power inserter to nativly run off of DC power. Want to do the same thing with the receivers...

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    well, perhaps you don't know how many different DC rails coming out of internal PS ...

while it's doable, you must do some own research: collect all necessary data: voltages, current of normal load, rush current, ripples&nose figures... at least for start.

I'm not telling you must own the receiver to make such major modification and practically you should make new PCB to combine all 5 or 7 DC-DC converters instead of internal (not sure what 211 you have - 211, 211k or 211z) if it has separate PCB. If not (one common PCB with all parts inside) then your task would be much tedious ...

3. cobyroberts

cobyroberts New Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Your right, found 3 rails and have them all powered but still no joy. Moving on to DirecTv they have external power supplies I can use dc-dc regulators on... If anyone is interestd in researching this let me know but at the end of my knowledge for the newer units.

Coby

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The DIRECTV H25 has an external power supply but it requires that you use one of their monster Slimline dishes with an SWM LNB that requires 21VDC.

Why are you using a DPP44 (this could have a big impact on your options with DIRECTV)?

5. cvrvr

cvrvr New Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why don't you just use a cheap plug-in inverter. I have two 400w ones that I purchased for $25 or less.

George