1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIP612 lock-ups?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by thenamesash, Sep 24, 2008.

1. thenamesash

thenamesash Mentor

Sep 17, 2007
    So the 612 has "locked" up 3 times since I had Dish installed about 3 weeks ago. Last night while watching Bad Boys on one of the premium stations (think it was MAX), the picture froze, but I could still hear audio for maybe 20sec and then everything stopped and the TV screen went blank. I had to push and hold the power button on the receiver for about 3-4 seconds and it re-booted. Then it went through it's power up routine (loud fan running, HD blue light lit up) for about 1-2min. Then I was able to turn power it back on with the remote and saw a message on the TV screen that it was getting the satellite signals and after another 2-3min or so was back like nothing happened. Is this normal? The satellite and transponder we in the low 50's for strength so perfectly fine for Eastern ARC, actually at the high end. I previously had Comcast and had maybe 1 scientific atlanta explorer 83000 HD lock up every 3-4months so the Dish VIP612 seems a lot worse. Thanks.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    You may want to take a look at the ViP612 L6.00 Software Experiences/Bugs Discussion thread which has posts like this one:
    My two week old 612 has had no serious problems though playback does stall at times and the control is a bit kludgy compared to my 722. But there appears to be folks happy with their 612's so you may want a replacement.