1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ViP622 or HR20??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cccsdad, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 6, 2007 #1 of 24
    cccsdad

cccsdad AllStar

Oct 16, 2006
    Due to the promo Dish is running for Free HDDVR (ViP622) I'm thinking about dumping my Direct TV and switching to Dish, however, I've read on some forums that the Dish picture quality on both HD and SD is not as good as DTV's. Something to do with how Dish compresses their signal.

So, should I stick with DTV and get the HR20 HDDVR, or make the switch to Dish and get the ViP622.

2. May 6, 2007 #2 of 24
    Elistan98

Elistan98 Legend

Sep 18, 2006
    That is really a personal choice and one I am debating now. I have held off switching myself because of the new sats Directv is launching, but now Dish has announced having two new sats by december as well....

If you look at hardware I would say based on the fact I got an ad from dish offering a free VIP 622 and another free dvr, the price alone for dish equipment is better than the HR20. When I called directv they offered me $160 credit on my account if i paid the whole 299 up front. Free 2 dvrs vs $299 for 1 hmmmmmm.

It really comes down to programming though. Having cheap but reliable equipment doesnt do anything if there isnt anything you want ot watch. Does Dish offer what you want?? Some people refuse to switch because of Sunday Ticket or some other sports pack that will not be available through Dish. Also make sure Dish offers your locals in HD if you have them now.

Comparing my SD on Directv to SD on my fathers Dish network its equitable. I really dont see much difference. The one thing I have noticed is he does experiance rain fade more often than I do but even then no more than for a few minutes.

To be honest Im waiting until the New Sat is launched on June 20th to make sure the gremlins dont get it before I decide for sure. If Direct doesnt deliever on its promise then the choice will be clear.

Of course if either add The Anime Network or The Funimation Channel I will sign up then and there.

3. May 6, 2007 #3 of 24
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    "I've read on some forums that the Dish picture quality on both HD and SD is not as good as DTV's. Something to do with how Dish compresses their signal."

It is OPPOSITE way ! Read MORE.

4. May 6, 2007 #4 of 24
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I have a coworker that currently has D*, E*, and cable (why, I don't know), and she says D* has the best PQ by far. I have never done a comparison myself, I am only passing along wht she told me the other day.

The Anime Channel? Funimation? Really? Huh.

5. May 6, 2007 #5 of 24
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    At this and other forums (AVS, SatelliteGuys) you can find much more info then your co-worker opinion. Just search and read. Not nessesary to post more about beating dead horse. :D

6. May 6, 2007 #6 of 24
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    So if it was not necessary to post more about beating a dead horse....

I am well aware of all the the threads and posts debating the topic, but I had never, until the other day, spoken to anyone directly that had done a comparison. The bottom line is PQ lies in the eye of the beholder. My point, and I guess I made it poorly, was that everyone who has questions should do their own test. What's better for you, may not be for me. There, now the horse ain't even twitchin'.

7. May 6, 2007 #7 of 24
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    While "both" were trying to offer help, I think the stake has been driven through the heart of this horse finally. :D

8. May 6, 2007 #8 of 24
    uncrules

uncrules Godfather

Dec 20, 2005
    There was a time I thought about switching from D* to E* but there was one significant design issue I have with the 622 that kept me from switching. The 622 has only one OTA tuner where as the HR20 has two. Since in the state I live in, NC, E* doesn't offer any HD LiL I wouldn't be able to record two (or watch one record another) HD locals at the same time. Since I watch more HD local programming than any other HD channel, this is an important issue for me.

9. May 9, 2007 #9 of 24
    jorhett

jorhett Legend

Nov 14, 2006
    With Dish you will pay more, and be treated much, much worse.

10. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    My in-laws have Dish and the ViP 622. The HR20 is easier to use by far.

11. Mickey

Mickey Mentor

Oct 26, 2005
    I am debating this issue as well. I currently have the HR-10-250. I have been with cable, Dish, and now Direct TV. I mainly switched to D* for the Tivo functionality. I am a little scared of the HR20. I'm just afraid I will not be satisfied with it....

12. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    There is a 622 vs HR20 comparson that some of our members did just recently.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=95242

As for the 2 OTA tuners. uncrules is correct. However, if you have OTA and get HD locals through Dish you have the ability to record two HD locals while watching a third live at the same time. Or you can record 3 HD locals at the same time if HD locals are provide through Dish. You would be suprised how often I run into this need.

Oh yeah.. You can also pause your buffer PIP swap to watch your other tuner. Pause it. PIP swap to watch what you currently had paused. PIP side by side is also an excellent feature. (Sorry could not resist).

I am not familar with the HR20 and based on the posts I have read it appears to have improved a lot since its release and continues with the help of this community. I am with the 622/722 and it does do a good job at providing a DVR solution with me.

Ok.. before the rocks come flying.... I have to agree with a previous poster about doing your homework. PQ is very subjective and constently changing. I would not base my opinion soley on PQ. For ever 10 that think E* is better you have 10 that think D*. I would look towards content. What meets your needs and then look at the feature comparison on the link above. If there are any key features, make sure the receiver you are going to get meets them today and not tomorrow.

I would also read the wish lists of both receivers and see what people wish they had. Also ready the Sticky on the 622 support forum with user tips and tricks ane our reviews. It will give you a good idea of what the 622 can and cannot do. Then do the same on the 722 fence.

After you do that you should have a good idea what company fits your needs the best and then factor in the savings you get going with E*. If E* does not meet your minimal set of check box items, no need to look at the figures in my eyes.

13. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Usability is subjective in many cases. Mac users would say the same thing about a windows box and a windows user would say the same thing about a Mac. I am sure I would say the opposite about an HR20 unless I spent a long time with it. I know after spending 30 minutes on a Tivo I thought my Vip622 was easier to use. Oh yeah.. I also said the same thing about Linux when I first used it... ;)

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Ron, you're right. Bottom line recommendation for all DBSTalkers, do your research, try to see the unit you're thinking of buying on the kind of TV you have, and do what makes you happy. Thanks for hopping the fence for a little while!

15. Scrapper

Scrapper Cool Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Hey Mickey, I have the HR10-250 also and I too was hesitant to get the HR20. Last October I went and got the HR20, but since I owned my HR10-250 I actually use both. Early on the HR20 had issues, my box only locked up once, but many people in the early goings had issues. It took me a little while to warm up to the interface that the HR20 has, but it has been almost a year now and I have become used to it, in fact in some instances I prefer it.

One thing is for certain, the old Tivo box will not be able to play the new HD channels (MPEG-4), so I will be replacing that box with another HR20 at some point in the near future.

The major problem that I have with the HR20 at this point is lack of dual line buffers. This is where you can watch 2 programs at once by switching between the the 2 shows. The HR20 only uses one buffer (90 minutes worth). There are ways around it if you really need it, but I have lived without on the HR20 box.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your choice. :)

16. generalpatton78

generalpatton78 Godfather

Dec 17, 2003
    No matter what call D* tell them you leaving to E* because of the free HD DVR and fight them to get as much free crap as you can. Call me cheap all you want but I considered leaving several times and other times I've got free stuff for just asking.

Here is my list of free stuff and discounts over the years.

Free- SD Tivo (own)
    Free- Hr10-250 (leased)
    Free- 3 Hr20 (leased)
    Free- R15 (own)

$20 off for a year with the prm package.
    Free superfan last year
    ST and SF for $189
    HD channels free for a year
    $10 off for a year
    Starz free for 3 months because I asked to try it out.

So seriously call them up and say cancel at the prompt and get to retention. See if D* can't earn your business.

17. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    You have a bunch of great help here already about the receivers. Tony's comparison spreadsheet is amazing.

All that being said...

The point of any receiver is not the receiver. It is what it can receive.

You are literally on the verge of seeing dozens and dozens of new channels come from DIRECTV with up to 150 promised by the end of next year.

If you are thinking of DISH, they will immediately upgrade you to the 722 just for asking.

But before you think about leaving, think about staying. As said earlier call DIRECTV and at least give them a chance. Tell them you are thinking about leaving and hear them out.

With either company don't be afraid to ask. Neither will give you their best deals unless you push for it.

Here is one thread to check out:

Are You Thinking About Upgrading Another Receiver with an HR20?

Here are the steps many are using to get their deals:

Getting a Good Deal on an HR20

The ideal receiver would be so well designed that you would spend no time in the menus. There would be no little cartoon guy because there would be no time to watch him. [​IMG]

- Craig

18. hokie93

hokie93 Mentor

Aug 20, 2007
    My parents have the HR20 this thing gets hot hot hot and the remote isn't as good as my 622. But with *D getting the new channels and *E supposibly getting 2 new sat up it's all is up to what kind of deal you can get.

19. Mickey

Mickey Mentor

Oct 26, 2005
    Thanks to Scrapper and others who replied/added information to the thread. At this point, I am leaning toward staying w/D*. I will try to push them for the best deal. I do NOT like the idea of laying out a lot of cash just to get their new receiver and signing up for another commitment. But, it would probably be the easist way to go rather than having a new install of E* or going back to cable (yuk!)....

20. Mickey

Mickey Mentor

Oct 26, 2005
    I have another question. I am wading through a LONG thread about hooking up an eSATA drive to the HR20. Is there any update to this process? Does it still replace the internal drive instead of working in conjunction with it? I really do not want to read through 50+ pages on that thread to try and find out. Is there a master list of eSATA drives that work with the HR20. I saw one for the Dish product, but did not see one for the HR20 (may have missed something). Thanks for all your help....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.