1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIP622 Power Down in middle of day?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by ZBoomer, Jun 2, 2008.

1. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    My 622 just did something it's never done; while watching a show on DVR around 10:45am, it put up a message on the screen telling me it needed to shut down to check for updates, and offered me the option to let it shut down, or cancel.

I went ahead and let it shut down, and now it's rebooting.

Wierd, I've never had it do that during the day when I'm watching. I have it set to do it's daily updates like at 4am, and it was off all night.

Anyone have any idea why it did this?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    One possibility that comes to mind... Did you have a timer set to record anything last night that would have overlapped the 4am update time? Or perhaps was there a brief power outage around that time last night?

Basically, if something happens during the overnight that causes the update not to occur... then it sometimes tries again several hours later when it "remembers" it needs to refresh.

3. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    Good ideas, but neither happened. No power outage (my stove will say PF even I have even a very short outage), and no recordings going on.

I've had recordings going on before at that time, and it interrupts them anyway. :)

Receiver seems the same, just wierd that it did that.

4. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    It shouldn't. :nono2:

5. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Was it perhaps storming during the night when the update would have occurred? Or, very dense clouds?
    Also, if there is a recording scheduled during the update time, it will skip the update.

6. plasmacat

plasmacat Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    My 622 shut itself off in the middle of watching House last night - about 9:45 pm. No error messages or any messages. It just went off, whirred loudly for awhile and eventually came back on. The first time this has happened. No weather, no power outages, no reason at all. It's update time is 3am.

7. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    That was a reboot. The receiver had some sort of problem and it booted itself.