1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

VIP722 problems

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by hoophead, Sep 27, 2012.

1. hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    I have been told over time that this unit is known for problems when associated with antennae hookup. I have had problems with the unit rebooting when attmepting to access one of those channels. My question is that problem resolved? I also am having issues recently when I needed to reboot, hard or soft, it takes several reboots to completely come back up. Frustrating as all get out.

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    It was my understanding was it was the 722k module causing the reboot problem. I do not have any such problem with my 722 non-k model.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    mean OTA: MT-2 module ?

OP: what signal level you have for the station ? How stable is it ?

4. hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    Am still looking to here back from Ray G or Ray C as I have sent pm's to them a few days back....

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you could be more polite and answer to our question ...

6. wje

wje Godfather

Mar 8, 2006
    New England
    AFAIK, the issues are limited to the 722K. My 622 was swapped out about a year ago for a 722K, and it still has plenty of annoying problems, OTA or not. The reboot problem does seem to have been solved, but it still is sometimes extremely slow to respond to the remote (45 seconds to bring up the guide!), I get video breakup of short duration (1-2 secs) fairly frequently. None of this happened with my 622. (and, yes, p smith, the signal strength is fine)

There also used to be an apparent 'skip' problem, skipping many minutes rather than seconds, but that also seems to have been fixed.

I have to say, having to put up with this half-baked device has really lowered my opinion of Dish. I dumped D* years ago because of the horrible HR10-250. At least I didn't have to pay 1K out-of-pocket for the 722K.

7. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    If you are having a pixelation issue on your receiver, a technician may be needed to realign your dish. Please let me know. Thanks.

8. global_nomad

global_nomad New Member

Sep 30, 2012
    I"ve tried to reboot mine from dishonline and it seems to work from a distance also.

9. Oct 2, 2012 #9 of 16
    jajone13

jajone13 New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I currently have 2 722k's and both of them reboot at least once a week.

10. jajone13

jajone13 New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Forgot to mention I wasn't using any OTA. But since both required the reboot I just assumed it was the 722 bug.

11. HDlover

HDlover Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
  12. jokerinthemist

jokerinthemist New Member

Nov 8, 2012
    For the past few weeks, my 722 wants to reboot every night while I'm watching a program. Also, there are times that I'm recording 1 program, (one), and it won't let me change to another station without canceling the recording. Had an argument with a couple Dish reps about that this weekend. Tech dept was supposed to call me, but 4 days later, I'm still waiting. Problem still not resolved.

13. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Check your signal strength on both tuners. Sounds like you have one that isn't working or has low signal.

14. jokerinthemist

Nov 8, 2012
    Just checked the signal strength and they are both at 56/58. Probably not very strong, but, that's as good as it's ever been. Thanks anyway...

15. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    I do not show this rebooting problem as a known issue for this receiver. The nightly reboot you mentioned may be when the updates occur, which includes the guide information. The default setting is 3 am but can be changed on this receiver. The receiver will reboot after the update completes.

If you have a recording and the other tuner is used, this message will pop up warning you that if you do change the channels it will stop the recording. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.

16. jokerinthemist

Nov 8, 2012
    Recording problem: When I'm recording one program and trying to watch another, I get a pop up telling me that doing that will cancel the recording. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it's really aggravating.

Reboot: I have the nightly update to occur at 4am, but quite often it won't occur until 5, 5:30, even as late as 6am.